Just picked up a 2022 KLX300SM! What Mods should I consider?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 11:14 PM
Default Just picked up a 2022 KLX300SM! What Mods should I consider?

As it says in the header, I am new to the KLX300SM life, or supermoto in general. I am coming from an R3 so this is a very different riding style.

I was hoping folks could help me out with some mods and part suggestions for future fun.

Additionally, when purchasing parts for my bike, it seems like 2022 is sparse. Are the 2021 and 2022 that much different?

Excited to be here! Thanks for the help

Old 02-17-2022, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the supermoto world.
They are in a whole different world from sportbikes.
The KLX being about 70 pounds lighter than an R3 can make it feel "toylike".. The upright riding position will make your KLX seem more like a mountainbike with a motor.
Typical SM mods are:

Intake
Exhaust
Tuner
Tail Tidy
Headlight
Blinkers
Rack

TST, Revzilla, Ebay, and Amazon are good places to start when you're looking for parts. And yo'll have LOTS of fun tricking it out!

I've owned a LOT of small bikes under 400cc in my life, and the KLX300SM is the BEST bike I've ever ridden.

Last edited by tooter; 02-17-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:27 PM

And this is where I am parked. Waiting and looking for motor info. Pistons, cams, etc.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Here are a few other low cost mods to add to the list...

Secondary Throttle Plate Delete.
Primary ECU Throttle Plate Control Spring Delete
PAIR valve Delete
Emissions Canister Delete

Old 07-04-2022, 11:44 PM

Already have the low down on those through multiple youtube videos. Cam, heads, pistons are no where to be found……YET.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:28 PM

Tooter, is there any tutorials or instructions for removing the secondary throttle plate?

Old 07-19-2022, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by solace
Tooter, is there any tutorials or instructions for removing the secondary throttle plate?
Welcome to the forum.
It's actually pretty simple. You dig down to the throttle body, remove one screw, and remove the plate.

I came up with another related mod that works in tandem with the secondary throttle plate delete.. Primary throttle plate ECU control spring delete.

This mod is really simple. Use a needle nose pliers to pop the spring out while paying attention to which direction it flies.

There's lots of information in this thread.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-needed-48437/

Old 07-19-2022, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
Welcome to the forum.
It's actually pretty simple. You dig down to the throttle body, remove one screw, and remove the plate.

I came up with another related mod that works in tandem with the secondary throttle plate delete.. Primary throttle plate ECU control spring delete.

This mod is really simple. Use a needle nose pliers to pop the spring out while paying attention to which direction it flies.

There's lots of information in this thread.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-needed-48437/
Did you notice that when you start the bike with the spring removed that you have to give it a little throttle to start? It did on mine so I put it back in. I am going to remove it again to see if anything changed after my tune. Not a big deal just wanted to know if you noticed anything like that. Thanks

Old 07-20-2022, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Olderider
Did you notice that when you start the bike with the spring removed that you have to give it a little throttle to start? It did on mine so I put it back in. I am going to remove it again to see if anything changed after my tune. Not a big deal just wanted to know if you noticed anything like that. Thanks
Mine starts right up without touching the throttle. It just doesn't have that manic fast idle. The climate is warm all the time here, so that might have something to do with it.The beauty of this mod is that you can always undo it if you don't like the results.

Besides not having that irritating fast idle, I really like the instant engine deceleration whenever I let off the throttle. All the roads around here are two lane winding canyon so I'm constantly slowing for curves. There's plenty of engine braking to slow down without needing to be on the brakes all the time.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to know,, thanks