Is Your KLX Easier Starting With Aftermarket Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is Your KLX Easier Starting With Aftermarket Exhasut?

Nope, no effect on longevity. They are a bit more sensitive to altitude changes and the like though.

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

would a pumper reduce the longjevity of the motor? would there be any long term problems with running a pumper? just wondering, its a little out of my price range right now.. maybe in a year or two...

Old 11-24-2006, 06:09 PM

Actually pumper carbs are "old tech" style. Most motorcycle went to the "CV" or constant velocity style of carb in the 80's. This carb is much less prone to air density changes as it does not open the passage way through the carburator for air / fuel mixture to flow to the engine. The amount of the opening is based on the vacuum signal present in the engine. It's kind of like a Holley 3310 carb - 750 cfm with a vacuum secondary. Set up properly, a car is quicker with this carb than with a double-pumper of the same capacity. The reason is that the engine will only open the secondaries as much as it needs it, kind of like the way the CV carb on our bikes work.

On all cars with carburators, you always had an accelerator pump. If you ever removed the air cleaner and moved the throttle linkage, you would see a stream of raw gasoline being shot into the carb. That is why you always pressed the gas pedal to the floor to set the automatic choke and also to put a shot of raw gasoline into the engine for cold starts.

Will it reduce the life span of the engine? I don't see any reason for it to do that. If anything, I'll bet it makes the engine start more quickly each time as you can put a shot of fuel into the engine when cold.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i wasnt sure of another thing, if my bike is sitting there and i twist the throttle will it flood the motor? i know u can do that in cars, but im still new to this bike carb stuff...

Old 11-24-2006, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i wasnt sure of another thing, if my bike is sitting there and i twist the throttle will it flood the motor? i know u can do that in cars, but im still new to this bike carb stuff...

Matter of fact . . . . yes you can.

One of the things that "full access" provides.

However, it should also provide the restraint from doing such things.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm all for the pumper idea ... and will probably get one by next season (Santa, are you listening!?!!).

The Yoshimura concept sounds good in principle, specially at WOT, but how much more does it cost compared to a regular Mikuni? And for trail riding that's not always WOT, is the difference significant enough to justify the difference in cost?

Old 11-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

OK quick question: If I start both of the XT 225's everyday, they start right up, but if they sit for a week good luck trying to get them to start: Explain please.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:46 AM

Do they have stock jetting and exhaust?

Old 11-25-2006, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

No matter how long my KLX sits I just pull out the choke and hit the start button and it fires right up. guess I'm just lucky and got a good one.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, thats what puzzled me at first about most motorcycles. I had worked with my father (career mechanic) quite a bit around car carbrators which seemed to almost always have an accel pump, and vacuum secondaries if they had four barrels. Since even the single barrel carbs had an accel pump, I always asssumed that bikes were all the same way...NOT! The majority, epecially on street bikes, are CV. I did, however, miss a lot of updates during my time in the Navy, so I no doubt had/have some catching-up to do.

ORIGINAL: Marty

Actually pumper carbs are "old tech" style. Most motorcycle went to the "CV" or constant velocity style of carb in the 80's. This carb is much less prone to air density changes as it does not open the passage way through the carburator for air / fuel mixture to flow to the engine. The amount of the opening is based on the vacuum signal present in the engine. It's kind of like a Holley 3310 carb - 750 cfm with a vacuum secondary. Set up properly, a car is quicker with this carb than with a double-pumper of the same capacity. The reason is that the engine will only open the secondaries as much as it needs it, kind of like the way the CV carb on our bikes work.

On all cars with carburators, you always had an accelerator pump. If you ever removed the air cleaner and moved the throttle linkage, you would see a stream of raw gasoline being shot into the carb. That is why you always pressed the gas pedal to the floor to set the automatic choke and also to put a shot of raw gasoline into the engine for cold starts.

Will it reduce the life span of the engine? I don't see any reason for it to do that. If anything, I'll bet it makes the engine start more quickly each time as you can put a shot of fuel into the engine when cold.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually, the only diffence in the Yoshimura is in the needle valve, which affects your mid-range throttle openings...not WOT. It uses a conventional main Jet, so WOT should be no difference from a normal flat side carb.

The biggest difference with the Yoshimura is throttle response, which is even better than a normal pumper (you can actually feel the difference) and less sensitivity to changes in altitude or temperature. Also, your gas mileage improves due to better atomization in the area we operate in most (low to midrange throttle openings). It's cleaner burning for the same reason.

The price, after conversion from yen, is around $600.00 USD...not cheap by any means, but it comes pre-set-up for the KLX250..much like the FCR that Nobrakes got from Jerry at FSW for pretty near the same price.

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

I'm all for the pumper idea ... and will probably get one by next season (Santa, are you listening!?!!).

The Yoshimura concept sounds good in principle, specially at WOT, but how much more does it cost compared to a regular Mikuni? And for trail riding that's not always WOT, is the difference significant enough to justify the difference in cost?

Quick Reply: Is Your KLX Easier Starting With Aftermarket Exhaust?