Your favorite and least favorite mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
Best Free Non performing mod was removing that stupid strap that goes across the back half of the seat. 09 model, the 06 and 07's might not have had that. Also disabling the kick stand switch and cutting off the beaver tail.

Favorite Non Performing mod that was purchased, Michelin AC10 Tires, 13 tooth counter sprocket, Tusk hand guards, Ricochet skid plate, 12oclock labs speedo fix, the Dyno Jet sticker, bar risers.
Funny my 06 has the seat strap which I wanted to leave on for my daughter if she were to ride with me. Although on the road I am basically sitting on it. I would have to be pretty far forward to make it useful.

What do you like about the AC10's?

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

The AC10's are a great off road tire. Thay also perform decent on the pavement, the lugs are a little stiffer and they don't Roll over when cornering. They are a little more aggressive than the D606's. And much better in the dirt then the OEM D605's (09 and up)

The absolute Worst mod that I have done (not on the KLX) was the Kenda TrackMaster II's, horrible on the street. The lugs would roll on corners made it feel like I was riding on ice. I know there are a lot of people that love that tire, I just don't. They may have worked after the lugs wore down, I just didn't trust them long enough to give them that chance.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
The AC10's are a great off road tire. Thay also perform decent on the pavement, the lugs are a little stiffer and they don't Roll over when cornering. They are a little more aggressive than the D606's. And much better in the dirt then the OEM D605's (09 and up)

The absolute Worst mod that I have done (not on the KLX) was the Kenda TrackMaster II's, horrible on the street. The lugs would roll on corners made it feel like I was riding on ice. I know there are a lot of people that love that tire, I just don't. They may have worked after the lugs wore down, I just didn't trust them long enough to give them that chance.

Thank you for the information.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

My favourite non-power mod would be, in order

Spacer and 7.5W oil in forks.
Lowering link
Vortex throttle
Late model KX front fender
KX fork protectors

Worst was the Kenda k270 front tire. I like the back, but that front tried to kill me more times than I can remember.

Last edited by zomby woof; 04-09-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Well - where should I start ?
Haetgrips ? Windshield ? Handguards ? Topbox ? GPS-mount ?
Guess it depends on Your personal prefs....
GPS mount behind windshield is Ram - and was imposstible to place right for my likin...new has been manufactured and installed.

Attached Thumbnails Your favorite and least favorite mods-img_0519_small.jpg   Your favorite and least favorite mods-img_0541_small.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard
Well - where should I start ?
Haetgrips ? Windshield ? Handguards ? Topbox ? GPS-mount ?
Guess it depends on Your personal prefs....
GPS mount behind windshield is Ram - and was imposstible to place right for my likin...new has been manufactured and installed.
Looks great. Which windshield did you with? Does it help keep the wind down at speed?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Useful mods:
(Free)
Lose the dorky beaver-tail, and the seat strap.
(Bought)
#1 should be a Skid plate. If you dent the tubes, there's no "un-doing" that!
Next would be hand-guards, and Wolfman Enduro saddlebags.

Useless mods:
If you're doing a mod that's useless... well, something's wrong with you... just sayin'

Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Useful mods:
(Free)
Lose the dorky beaver-tail, and the seat strap.
(Bought)
#1 should be a Skid plate. If you dent the tubes, there's no "un-doing" that!
Next would be hand-guards, and Wolfman Enduro saddlebags.

Useless mods:
If you're doing a mod that's useless... well, something's wrong with you... just sayin'
You should have read the question better I guess

Old 04-16-2012, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Favorite:

Church stickers.

Hid up front. See me.

LED bulbs in the rear. Efficient lighting is peace of mind and OCD satisfying.

I sprayed industrial rocker panel clear coat on my stock skid and frame to protect from rocks and debris.

Keeping my tool bag on has helped me, but more so helped other riders. I helped a guy near the university who had a leaking coolant tank. While chatting, I helped another guy in the school parking lot discover his katana's tube clamps were very loose.

Running no spark arrestor- Loud. Safe. vroom. Hear me.

Least favorite... Wiping chain wax from previous owner off of the bike. Wiping oil spray from chain lubing off the bike.
With mods.. As you use them your joy/peace of mind/whatever you bought the mod for- the feeling over comes the buyer's remorse pretty much always as you can see.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
You should have read the question better I guess
Okay, then I'll revise a little...

The 13T sprocket looked good on paper, and worked fine off-road, BUT... it increased my road RPM to an unacceptable range. I went back to the stock 14T after a few rides.

Since doing the jetting/airbox/pipe mods, I find the 14T works great for me now. So, the 13T looked good, but it wasn't a very good mod for me.

Better...???

Quick Reply: Your favorite and least favorite mods