You knew this was coming...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: You knew this was coming...

I reinstalled the OEM idle fuel screw as well, I couldn't get the Kouba to idle properly at any setting (the idle drifted around) but with the OEM fuel screw back in the idle is perfect.

DC4500 lives in Boise, Idaho (my old stomping ground, my mom shares your zip code 83709) at an elevation of 2,800ft with many of the good places to ride much higher a 128 may be to fat.

and Iowaguy; if you read his opener he clearly stated that he had drilled the slide out to 7/64th although opening up the airbox is a great idea but one that I'll wager he done already and just failed to report.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with all the suggestions you have gotten so far (except the one to get rid of the kouba screw), it really sounds like you're a little lean. However, there is some info missing. What altitude are you at? Stock snorkle, KDX snorkle, no snorkle, no air box lid? Did you get rid of all the extra plumbing (smog crap)?

You will probably find someone that has the combo you need if they know how much air you're flowing and at what altitiude. For me, the 122 main was perfect, the 125 too large, but that's at 5300ft with the KDX snorkle. I kept the stock pilot with that combination.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ZX1100F1,

She might live close by because the zip codehad few homes before the recent mass development.

The idle seems perfect to me. When I first started after jetting, it was idling (or trying to idle) at about 900 rpm. I adjusted the thumb **** not the fuel air screw to bring the idle to about 1400 rpm. Maybe I should have adjusted the Kouba? I'm not really sure what the intented use or difference between the two is.

warski,

ZX1100F1 is right, I'm at about 2800ft. As far as the airbox goes, it is currently stock. I'm thinking that I will leave the lid alone but I do have a UNI filter to install. The smog gear is all stock and connected. You're thinking lean? Most are saying that a lean condition causes a surging during acceleration. I would tend to agree with this notion as it sounds similar to the surging I have noticed right before I have to switch the tank to reserve (aka running out of fuel). However, I did question the 122 main thinking that it should be a 125. Jerry over at FSW suggested the 122 and since he had done such a great job on the pipe mods I went with his suggestion.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Geez, the koubalink screw is one of my favorite mods. I havent had any problems with mine.

I would.....leave the fuel/air where you have it now (extra 1/2 turn) and add the uni filter and see how that goes.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 PM

sorry, did not know elevation. 122 is probably good then. i'm at sea level with 128

Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

DC4500,

I can't help you with a 2800ft setup. I can recommend that before you get too far in solving the issue, allow more air in to take advantage of your new exhaust.. I'm using the KDX snorkle, which is about twice as big as the stock one. Others are running no snorkle, or no airbox lid at all.

At one time, I had a very nice cut-away view for the carb explaining what everything did, but now I can't find the link. A good explanation of CV carb tuning can be found at http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/...uning_tips.htm

The main jet is for wide open throttle (WOT). Since I rarely (if ever) see WOT (I'm an old guy), I concentrated more on finding the right spot for the mixture screw (which will affect idle) and the slot for the needle. I settled on the 122 main after finding that the 125 used more fuel with no increase in power (richer). I settled on the second slot after finding that the 3rd slot used more fuel with no increase in power. Since I don't have a dyno or oxygen sensor (or both), I just had to experiment.

Good luck. Hopefully someone that lives near your altitude will chime in shortly to give you a good combination to start with.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ps. ZXman- don't assume things.........it mak...........

ZX, approve? or did I miss something else?

I didn't assume anything asshat and don't getting all fragile because you can't read.

ORIGINAL: DC4500

Installed the FMF Q2 and FSW head pipe.
Changed the main jet 118 -> 122.
Changed the pilot jet 35 -> 38.
Installed the Kuoba T-handle fuel air screw (slightly over 2 turns out which is where the stock one was).
Installed the N1TC needle (clip in second position from the top).
Drilled slide vent hole to 7/64.
Amazingly this Einstein (Iowaguy) surmises that the airbox needs to be opened up........... HOW DO YOU DO IT?
Amazing!

Sorry if I offended you, you are my hero.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 AM

You guys are funny! Endless entertainment! I hope your bike is running right after all these great comments.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Just remember to not tune for decelleration. If the bike idles well and starts easy, don't worry about the popping on decel unless it is excessive.

Quick Reply: You knew this was coming...