And yet another hot start problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 AM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default And yet another hot start problem

I have a stock 2010 KLX 250s with 800 miles .Bought the bike from original owner with 600 miles and it has never started hot without using the choke.I removed the cap to gain access to the air/fuel screw today and turned it out 2.5 turns.Still will not start unless using the choke and a light turn of the throttle.Once started the bike runs excellent.I took the air/idle screw all the way out before setting it and did not see any o ring,only a spring.Is the o ring and washer (shown on Ron Ayers website) seated in the carb body or should it be on the screw itself?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the o-ring often stays in the orifice.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:05 AM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the reply.I will take the bike to the dealer on Monday.Also need the gas tank recall taken care of.Should have just brought to the dealer to begin with since the bike is still under warranty.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Tried two turns out on the air/fuel screw today and still no go.Shop owner says they may need to drill out the pilot jet.Will post outcome.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I wonder why they don't just replace the pilot jet with one bigger if they diagnose that's what's needed? I hate drilling existing, marked jets. This can cause diagnostic problems later...unless of course you somehow mark the change on the jet body. Even though I've always suggested drilling the starter jet, this is a fixed jet, and it only operates when the choke is open.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Bike is at the shop now for the gas tank recall and the hot start problem

Old 08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

If it were me, I'd simply continue to use a little choke and a bit of throttle....

I'd then refer to it as a "characteristic" rather than a "problem".

Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I guess I would rather just have the problem fixed.Who wants to have to use full choke every time to start even when fully warmed up.I have ran Kawasaki for 31 years,they should have done better on the KLX I feel .I also bought a new 2009 leftover over
klx250SF in the spring which started poorly.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking your needle needs some attention. Shimming it would be the cheap try - although I'm also thinking getting a new needle is likely not that much more than scrounging around & finding a shim.

I'm also not sure I'd be taking my bike to a shop that talks about drilling pilot jets.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Well,I am just hoping for the best.Would be nice if the warranty will cover it.If not I will pay and complain to Kawasaki's customer service department.(See where that gets me)

Quick Reply: And yet another hot start problem