Yesterday's ride, sorry no pics....PICS now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Yesterday's ride, sorry no pics....PICS now!

Well it was supposed to be up into the 60's yesterday so i took off work a little early and met up with Ralph, on a 1990 klr250. We headed back to midway to go play in the mud, it has been raining around here so i knew it was gonna be really sloppy, and it was, was having a blast, nice warmer temps, overcast, perfect for riding. The trails we were on followed raccoon creek, neither one of us knew the trails though, so we were just riding and exploring having a great time, there were a few stream crossings, deep ones.... well it was getting late so we started heading back. The one stream crossing ralph went farther right than where we came across the other way and as he was going in i just kept seeing his bike going down... and eventually the water killed it... and when he got off the water was up to the top of his seat.... [:-] Not good.... he let all the water drain out of his airbox, then tried kicking it, cylinder was full of water.... son of a......so then we had to figure out how to get it out, i rememberd there was an old strip mine where i saw some dumptrucks and figured there had to be a road from that, so i rode back there and rode on top of the strip hill and sure enough i saw the gravel drive entrance, then on the way back down at the very bottom i hit the really slippery mud drain, the front end washed out and i did a somersalt over the handlebars and landed back down in about 3" of mud....[>:]doh...... so i just picked the trusty steed back up and went back and told him we just need to get his bike to there.... so there was just one steep hill we had to go up....as we stopped to take a break from pushing up the hill i look and see water RUNNING out of the muffler...... that aint good.... lol... so we get it up there and he has already called our other riding buddy to come give him a ride home in his truck, so by the time we get his bike to the driveway it started to get dark. then i took off after he was all loaded up. All in all it was a great ride, i love riding right after it rains... even with what happend it couldnt have gone any better, getting his bike out and everything wasnt too bad.... thats the first time i have seen a bike try to be a submarine.... lol... crazy.... great day....

Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Yesterday's ride, sorry no pics....

glad to hear it was a good ride ems. playing hooky and riding is great, hehe[8D]oh and [sm=ttiwwp.gif]i had to

Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow sounds like an adventure to say the least. Glad you got out ok.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Since I go out alone, I've been thinking about getting one of these: http://www.findmespot.com/
Although I'm not too sure how it would work down in a tree filled canyon. It would at least allow you to leave a trail of check-ins, that would narrow down the search area if you went missing. It's gotta be better than nothing. People seem to just disappear around here, sometimes they're found safe, sometimes not for years, when some hunter comes across a skull in the woods. I wonder how many were within a few hours hike from searchers, but one canyon over, or getting injured/stuck trying to self-rescue when they could have rigged up a shelter and waited for searchers. It sure would give some peace of mind to have some sort of beacon. I'm not saying it should a replacement for common sense, and good preperation, but sometimes even that is not enough.

Most recently, a U of O professor went missing from a solo day hike in the Cascades. I've done this hike myself, it's in a wilderness area, is in very steep, heavily wooded terrain, with multiple trails (all but one leading deeper into the wilderness) http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...xu&btnG=Search We had a storm come through over the weekend. Today, up at Santiam Pass, it's about 29 F, with 6 inches of new snow.

About a year ago it was the Kim family, and the resultant death of James Kim from dehydration/exposure. http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...her_famil.html

SPOT. The World’s First Satellite Messenger.
With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your loved one have peace of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location – with a link to Google Maps™ – and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with loved ones, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world – even where cell phones don't.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Man, that would suck, but at least you weren't too far out. Those are the kind of rides you end up remembering for the rest of your life.

I went out again today with Hardtaco and his buddy Jerry came this time. Jerry has the same bike I do. It was a good time, but with it being hunting season and the day before Thanksgiving is a pretty popular day for hunting we were pretty limited in the areas we could ride. Still a good time and it was cool to see some orange other than my own for a change.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

at least your bikes were orange brian...lol.... yea when it was dark and we had his bike loaded up we both said man... what a great ride.... very memorable. Nothing like going out right after a rain...

Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Sweet!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Sure, you can find us all those lovely ladies to look at everyday but you forgot to take pics of a great ride.J/k bud glad you had a good time while it lasted

Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

k, finally got the pics....
Name:  2006_12230001.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  2006_12230002.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  2006_12230004.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  2006_12230005.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  18.5 KB

Old 12-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

nice pics ems! thnx

Quick Reply: Yesterday's ride, sorry no pics....PICS now!