Yesterday's helmet cam - near Ft. Bragg

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Yesterday's helmet cam - near Ft. Bragg

Here's the vid from our ride yesterday.

http://www.vimeo.com/2593641

This was a very fun ride! It's not often I get to wind it out, and the damp sand was perfect for that. Even though I have my "street" sprockets on with the tall gearing, there was a couple of times I was wound out in 6th gear looking for 7th. We had quite a few interesting moments on this ride, some caught on vid. A water crossing gone bad, the 650X blew through a very deep water hole not entirely on purpose, some fun in the sand pit, KLR playing in the river, and the usual hooliganism and antics. I think my favorite part is the 2 - 3 minute scramble section starting at around 9:23. I left that whole section in un-cut, I wish I had a little loop like that in my back yard!

Hope you like it.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I love watching these videos. Makes me feel like im riding. Plus the quality is sooo good that it makes it even better. Keep them coming!

-Nick

Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Great video. Fun.
What camera do you use? Is it expensive?

I was joking about the burnout to bury the rear and a means to park. But that is what you do... Cool!

Thanks for the great video.
SlapDrum

Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

looks like fun. but why aren't you guys wheelying through those puddles? by the looks of the steam coming off the engines, you needed to do that. you just sunk the front wheel in and hoped you'd get through. with that much power, I know what I'd be doing.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Man I so love these

ahhh that spill that dude took in the mud hole reminds me of me

Last edited by JRock420; 12-22-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

that looked like some fun. nice video that you put up there. It must have taken a while to load it up

Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

How much water did his bike eat when he submarined it? I feel for him.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
looks like fun. but why aren't you guys wheelying through those puddles? by the looks of the steam coming off the engines, you needed to do that. you just sunk the front wheel in and hoped you'd get through. with that much power, I know what I'd be doing.
On that first one, my bike stalled and I pulled the clutch and got through on momentum alone, I got lucky that time. But you gotta be wary of those puddles, it's always the innocent looking ones that will swallow your bike up to the handlebars. People go in there with their jacked up 4WDs and dig them out, and you can't tell how deep they are when full of water, they look small and inviting. That's why I let someone else go first. If they go around, I go around. If they go through and make it, I will do it to. But I rarely just hit one of those puddles without testing or knowing it from memory first. And I don't ride down there enough to have the trails memorized.

For an example of what I'm talking about, check out my "Area 51 Sand Box" vid at time 9:12.

http://www.vimeo.com/1969777

This puddle happens to be dry, but it would normally be full of water, it was very dry that time of year. And keep in mind that the helmet cam does not show depth and terrain very well, but even so, as you can see with that dry puddle, if you hit it when it was full of water it would most likely drown the bike, it would easily be over the seat.

But I hear what you're saying - it's a lot of fun to split those things at speed. I don't do it very often, though, unless I really know the area well.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 12-22-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
How much water did his bike eat when he submarined it? I feel for him.
I think he came out OK, I don't think his bike sucked in any water, at least it started back up and ran OK afterwards. I felt kind of bad for him, his buddy said he had only ridden for 300 miles total. After about a dozen more low-sides in the sand, he bailed. I was surprised he made it as long as he did, hope we didn't traumatize him too much. I give him props for giving it a go, even though he was obviously out of his element. We've all been there at one point, sometime or other.

His friend was on the XR650 and he was doing great considering he did not have knobbies on, just some knobless street tread. He wasn't up front any, but he didn't make us wait too long at the intersections either.

Another fella was on a lowered DR650 and he hung in OK up until we stopped for food. After that, he bailed and it was just the 4 of us remaining, riding in the rain - the three guys that ride this area all the time and myself. Then two of them bailed when it was getting late, the 650X and the LC4, and it was just me and the KLR. We rode for a good while more and hit some new sections, before calling it a day.

Good times!

Last edited by Nobrakes; 12-22-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome man, it allows some of us that have snow on the ground to kind of go for a ride through you. Hey question, is that your helmet in the video or is that a software graphic? Sorry if I asked you that before.

Quick Reply: Yesterday's helmet cam - near Ft. Bragg