Worst Motorcycle fear witnessed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Worst Motorcycle fear witnessed

Folks

Still rather shaken from what I saw but want to share. I was driving back to my office about an hour ago and notice oncoming traffic had stopped. I thenwitnesseda man lying in the middle of the street.Immediately I thought he was dead because of the way he was layingbut was relieved asIsaw him move slightly.I then saw a Volvo on top of the backend of amotorcycle. The back end of the bike was smashed horribly and jammed underneath of theVolvo.

I pulled over in an adjacent neighborhood and got out of my vehicle tosee if this guy was gonna be OK. Luckily this occured a mile away from a major hospital and paramedics were on the scene by the time I walked up to it. They cutthe clothes off ofthe victimand were trying to communicate with him. Idoubt he was lucid but he tried to respond and was able to move an arm and later a legwhich is good news for him spinal cord.

The long and short of it is that this bro is a mess. Please pray for him, he needs that badly. Once the ambulance wisked him away I was able to get a close up pic of the bike.Be safe out there guys. Being rear-ended has always been my worst fear because there'snothing we can do to in that situation.

MikeName:  wreck2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  202.0 KB

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Worst Motorcycle fear witnessed

Close upName:  wreck1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  209.6 KB

Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Best of luck to the guy in the accident and full recovery. I really dont like seeing things like that.........................I'd rather see positive pics.
Cheers!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow! Hey Mike you should go visit him in the hospital when you get a chance, you never know what sort of friendship could develop. Maybe he doesn't have anyone like family there, it would show that you care even more than the fact that you stopped. I was just thinking about this yesterday as I was turning left down toward my house. I decided that if there is a car coming up behind me and I have a choice of hoping if he's going to stop or not waiting for the oncoming car to pass, I think I have decided to take my chances with the oncoming car and turn in faster.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

that sucks.[&o]

Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Ouch![&:]

Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Man, I hate to hear about that. I don't like thinking about it either, because it just makes me angry that people can't be bothered spare a few brain cells away from the cell phones, blackberry, cheeseburger or whatever it was that the driver of that Volvo was so preoccupied with that he couldn't keep from killing or nearly killing the person in front of him.

I bet he only got a $30 ticket for following too close or some BS like that.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

If I'm driving by myself, I don't even answer my cell phone....Blackberry to be exact. If we are traveling the rule is that the passenger takes and makes the phone calls, and the driver well ....drives. The next growing concern is that people are actually texting while driving, ummmm correct me if I'm wrong, but if driving and talking on the phone is bad, then texting has to be 10 times as dangerous.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I also think that after the age of 60 you should have to take a driving test every year. And then when I'm 60 it gets moved to 70 and then when I'm 70......well you get the idea.[8D]

Old 05-08-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree deej, once you start to get a little older, the reflexes are just not what they used to be. I would love to see drivers be retested after they reach a certain age.

About the cellphone thing, here in Nova Scotia, it has become illegal touse a cell phone (except one that is hands-free) while driving. It is also illegal to smoke in a car that has a passenger below the age of 18. Both of these laws took effectApril 1 (I think)of this year.

And I strongly feel that if you are going to obtain a motorcycle liscense, it should be done via a valid motorcycle training course..where they teach you the defensive driving, emergency stopping, and drill into your head to "shoulder check" at every stop, every lane change, etc..Maybe, if the motorcyclist had seen the car behind him, he might have had a slim chance of escapingbeing hit. Not implying that he was in the wrong in any way, shape or form.

Quick Reply: Worst Motorcycle fear witnessed