Worried about breaking that cute start button?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Worried about breaking that cute start button?

I've always worried about breaking that cute "flapper start" button!

Ever since I read that thread, some time back, where one of our members broke his flapper buton, lost the spring that actuates the starter and then had to walk out for help for his disabled bike.

Of course that would only happen when I have taken one of my famous falls in the rocks ... way back in the "out back" trails that we always use!!

So, I bought a kill (engine stop) button from myKawasaki dealer. Small change, I think it was about $6.00.

Found the starter wire inside the factory button and then made the two 3M taps into those two wires behind the headlight shroud. Next Imounted the new (auxillary starter button) to the left of the master cylinder.

I habitually use the button every other time that I start the engine.... just to be sure that it will work when the eventual actually happens to me.

Thought that I'd share this mod with you guys.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Worried about breaking that cute start button?

Nice work! It seems that's what some other manufacturers do on their plated dirtbikes, the kill and start buttons look the same.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Once it becomes available (sometime in feb), I plan on replacing the right hand control with this item from K&S Technologies:

The starter switch may be a bit more protected, but I'm after its slim design. The stock console slightly interferes with the ASV brake lever that I have installed.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Nice work! It seems that's what some other manufacturers do on their plated dirtbikes, the kill and start buttons look the same.
Thanks, Bryan...

The dealer only had the "Kill Button", but said that the start button was exactly the same item but had a start label instead of a kill label. It's no bigger thanyour thumb print and can be accessed easily with your hand still on the throttle.

Works great for me and affords a new level of security also.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

been there done that...here mine Radio shack special..it was cheap and it works...
Name:  IMG_0702.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  52.0 KB

Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

This is my backup. It's much more reliable

Name:  DSC01471.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  101.7 KB

Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

been there done that...here mine Radio shack special..it was cheap and it works...
Hey there, "MUDJUNKIE", I wish that you had posted your improvement prior to my button install. I like your system! Didn't think that you could get that into the tight space of the original palstic box!!

& "VFRPILOT", remember the ($6 price that I paid for my solution?) . I really do envy the kick starter though. Maybe some time in the future for me???

Do you find that you need a compression release or is it easy to kick her into life??

Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX doesn't kick hard at all. I suppose the ACR helps a little, but really it's not a problem. Finger Mullett I believe was the first to install the kick starter kit. I'm sure that he'll agree, it starts really easy.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

That's nice to know! Thanks for the come back.

I'll get the Clarke tank, the DynoJet's for the carb, a WER offroad stabilizer, then maybe I'll spring for the "kicker". Love this bikeso Idon't really care how much I spend on her... 'cause she's definitely a keeper!

This forum is awesome!!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I like how the 08 WRs have it.

A button on the bars, and another one tucked neatly behind the number plate, right next to the speedometer.

Quick Reply: Worried about breaking that cute start button?