Wiring up switch in place of key/ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

durielk,
I appreciate your professional experience. Am I incorrect in thinking that if I'm using only the middle and lower pins in a double-throw switch, that it is functioning as a single-throw?

Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes a 1PDT switch can be wired to operate as a 1PST switch. I answered your question, here is mine:

But...How are you wiring the "BK/Y TO BK/W" to the SP switch? (to be "made" when in the off position & to be "open" in the on position)

Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

I agree w/ the EE. You could always go with a small form factor spst switch (on/off) and a relay: 1 NC contact for the blk/yel and blk/wht; 1 NO contact for the wht and brn; 1 NO contact for the red and red/wht.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Yes a 1PDT switch can be wired to operate as a 1PST switch. I answered your question, here is mine:

But...How are you wiring the "BK/Y TO BK/W" to the SP switch? (to be "made" when in the off position & to be "open" in the on position)
Take the BK/Y to BK/W out of the switch and just connect these two wires to either side of the resistor. It doesn't need to be switched. If you're not worried about someone trying to hotwire the bike (which you probably aren't, since you're replacing the keyed switch with a toggle and hence disabling >95% of the security already), the 'off' position of this circuit doesn't matter. No need for a double-throw switch. Granted, this method is not mimicking the circuit, but it doesn't matter. The bike starts and runs in the on position, and shuts off without power draw in the off position.

This is the CE/PE in me just taking the sledgehammer approach

Old 06-02-2012, 03:50 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
thats one way to KISS it.

anybody wanna try a fob?
RFID Reader transponder key fob security | eBay

Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, so you are not wiring it like it was originally intended. When you do not state that from the beginning, who knows what your doing or not doing.
For that matter, just put in one SPST switch for the lighting circuit, leave the ignition wired. Just use the KILL switch to turn it off & the starter to start it.
And from the looks of your bike, it doesn't have a headlight, so you don't even need one switch!
And further, you are not the original poster, who states he does not know what to do. Your comments are confusing for all others.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Take the BK/Y to BK/W out of the switch and just connect these two wires to either side of the resistor. It doesn't need to be switched. If you're not worried about someone trying to hotwire the bike (which you probably aren't, since you're replacing the keyed switch with a toggle and hence disabling >95% of the security already), the 'off' position of this circuit doesn't matter. No need for a double-throw switch. Granted, this method is not mimicking the circuit, but it doesn't matter. The bike starts and runs in the on position, and shuts off without power draw in the off position.

This is the correct method.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Just curious, why do you want to remove the keyed ignition?

Old 06-02-2012, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikesova
Just curious, why do you want to remove the keyed ignition?
Not speaking for the OP, but I've seen at least three reasons a person might want to remove the keyed ignition:
-The position of the OEM key switch interferes with the addition of an aftermarket computer such as the Vapor.
-Slight reduction in weight.
-Change to different upper triple clamp that does not have provisions for the keyed switch.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
OK, so you are not wiring it like it was originally intended. When you do not state that from the beginning, who knows what your doing or not doing.
For that matter, just put in one SPST switch for the lighting circuit, leave the ignition wired. Just use the KILL switch to turn it off & the starter to start it.
And from the looks of your bike, it doesn't have a headlight, so you don't even need one switch!
And further, you are not the original poster, who states he does not know what to do. Your comments are confusing for all others.
That's my project for today. I'll take some pics of what I have.

Quick Reply: Wiring up switch in place of key/ignition