Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:33 AM
Default Wiring Diagram

Hey all.
New to the motorcycle scene. I got my klx about 2 weeks ago. Took it out to the local trails today. I seen the guys I was riding with
doing these neat tire spins as they were taking off. So I reved up first gear way too much and popped the clutch. The bike went straight up out from under me. I held on to her though and brought it down with out letting go of the grips. But in doing so I broke the lisence plate light bulb housing and now I have no running lights. The tail light works when I apply the brake. I was wondering if anybody could help out a rookie here. I checked the bulb, it is fine and the wires don't seem to be pinched. Is there any type of fuse or something?

Thanks,

Jethro

Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wiring Diagram

My guess is the bulb needs changed, its a dual filament lamp, I have had issues with bulbs. But on a related note, check out what a few of us have done with the tail section. Here's my bike, and a link to where you can get the replacement light. If you want, pick up a orange or red 12v light tester. Give it a good ground, and check both wires to the tail light. One should be hot with the key and the other one should be hot when applying either of the brakes. I had to edit my post, I forgot to welcome you to the site and the bike. Remember that you should take things at your own pace, don't try to copy what other people do, but rather get familiar with the bike, and then experiment and have fun. Stay safe.

Name:  Rearplatesmallwhite.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  98.8 KB

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...661&Division=6

Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I just won one of those acerbis tail lights on ebay for $13 brand new still in original packing!!! i love ebay

Old 07-31-2006, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I just ordered the same tail light last night from Dennis Kirk. It was $37.99 plus $6.95 shipping. They said it would be here Friday, Cant wait to remove the stock tail light Assembly, It really cleans up the look of the bike![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 AM

i dont think I hurt the taillight bulb, i will check it. Could i have blown a fuse or something.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just checked the wiring diagram and there are only three fuses on the bike - the main fuse which is 20 Amp ATO style and two smaller 10 Amp glass tube type fuses, one for the headlight and one for the radiator fan. The tail running light does not appear to be fused. I think I agree with Deej and suspect the running light filament in your tail light. There are two seperate filaments so its entirely possible that the brake light can be working fine but the running light not work. The running light is 5W while the brake light is 21W. Both filaments are in the same bulb.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

replace the bulb

Old 08-02-2006, 05:36 PM

I found it. After stripping the entire bike. I foung the little 2 fuse in line box. I blew a few..

Thanks all for the help.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My apologies, jethro980 - the tail running light is indeed fused. On the schematic the connecting wires have to be traced through the ignition switch but those connections are shown in a seperate table, not on the schematic itself so I missed it. Glad you figured it out.

Let me ask - was your headlight out also with the blown fuse? It looks like it shouldn't have worked either.

Quick Reply: Wiring Diagram