Will the KLX die or fly in the Oregon dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Will the KLX die or fly in the Oregon dunes?

Myself and a buddy are possible planning a trip to the Oregon sand dunes at Florence or Coos Bay. This is trip I have been wanting to do for some time, but haven't had time till now.

My question is how will the KLX250s perform in sand?
(It will have the high flow snorkel, carb mods, 13 tooth sprocket, stock tire.)

We don't have sand areas around Vancouver, BC. Just lots of gravel pits, tight trails, and endless logging roads. Although there are some upcoming constructions sites with sand as preload were guys screw around on bikes or quads.

I figure with all the guys in this forum somebody will have an idea whether this bike will fly or die in the dunes.
I do have another more powerful bike, but trying to meet the noise restrictions (93db max) in the dunes would be hopeless.

What do the KLX forum guys think?

Shaun

Old 06-14-2006, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Will the KLX die or fly in the Oregon dunes?

I personally wouldn't take it to the Oregon Dunes. Maybe with a paddle and a sand tire on the front, but definitely not with the stock tires. The dunes there are massive, and the sand is soft. I would also want more power. Just my opinion though. See what others have to say.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:56 AM

You will die. You will need a paddle tire. You need big horse power to run a paddle tire. As much as i love my klx250 I wouldnt go near the dunes with it.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Make no mistake about it, the sand is not our friend! Tires and horsepower is what is needed.
But go ahead and make the trip.... if nothing else but for experiencing the difference that the sand makes. With the tires that you have, you will have to be alert and learn to do the "shimmy-shimmy-shake".[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Your KLX250 will work, it just won't work very well with the stock tires. If you take it with the stock tires, be prepared for a good workout. I just put on an aggressive front tire on my bike and it transformed it in the sand. I have had a Trakmaster II on the rear for a couple of months, but that front tire made the bike fun in the sand as opposed to just being able to ride in the sand. With the stock front, it pushes and wallows in sand. Now the bike just works. If it is a pretty big trip, I would recommend getting some tires. They are not that expensive and are not that hard to change vs. how much more fun you would have.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 PM

If it rains you will be able to navigate around the area, I doubt you'll be able to climb much.
Those dunes are steep. You should bring both cycles if you can. You need lots of power and a paddle for dry deep sand dunes.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I found a small 30 X 30 ft area of sand down but one of the rivers here, and I hated it, I don't care what tires you have, its too much work, I'll stick to the hard packed trails and fire roads here that go on forever. Sand? No thanks.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

For the dunes, which I've been to many times, your best bet would be an ATV (three or four wheeled), sand rail, or, a motocross motorcycle. You would probably have to hop up the engine and remove too many parts to keep it street legal, though, it could probably be done.

The key is to increase the flotation of the tires, by going with bigger, light weight tires and wheels, with paddles in back for traction and maybe even running smoothies or razor edge style tire(s) in front. Anything to increase the flotation, to reduce the friction.

With the KLX250S, you would probably be limited to the beach and some of the trails, but, even some of the trails are going to be hazardous, since you may go around a bend and just sink. You have to keep your momentum up. Some of the dunes in Oregon are upwards of 200 feet high, so, those are more then likely, not doable by the 250. Some motorcross bikes have issues with the larger hills, as well as ATV's and buggies/sand rails, with insufficient power, or, momentum.

I would probably take the KLX250S’s with you, regardless, since there are plenty of trails near the dunes and through out Oregon, from what I understand, plus, you could go on the miles of beaches open to vehicles in Florence, Winchester Bay and Coos Bay/North Bend (Horsefall dunes area). With the wet sand on the beaches, the KLX will have less chance of burrying itself and getting stuck.

Then, for the actual dunes, rent a quad or buggy. It’s expensive, but, it’s cheaper then buying one.

Plus, the KLX would be handy for quick trips to town for groceries, exploring the area and such. HWY 101 is a very scenic road, though, be wary of cars, they tend to tailgate and be site seeing, so they don’t always pay attention. Also, the various roads through the passes to get to I5 are nice, as well.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Joe

When I went to Moab in May there was a lot of red sand dunes. My bike has no mods.

I was destroyed! I crashed in that sand probably 20+ over the two days... wore me out.
I wouldn't take this bike back into the sand.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:31 AM

Here in Idaho we have a lot of sand washes. I took my bike in stock form with full air pressure through one just to check its performance and found it to be miserable. However, once I did the usual mods and reduced the tire pressure it was just fine. I don't think I would take it to the dunes, though.