Why're big bikes so intimidated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

It all comes down to what YOU want. Screw what they think. Besides, one bike can't really do it all very well. The closest bike I've found to a do it all bike is my DR650. But it's still too big and heavy for most people (esp me) to do more challenging dirt. And it's not nearly as comfortable on a long trip as, say, my V-Strom. That's where your Tiger will excel. I love those bikes.. I'd love a Tiger 800XC too but I can't justify it (and lack the funds anyway).

My KLX rocks for scooting around at lower speeds. It's not at all fun at 65 mph or going in a straight line for more than a half mile at a time, unless there's dirt under its tires. But pack it lightly and hit the trails and you can go for several days exploring places you'd never comfortably reach on a bigger bike.

Search this site or advrider and you'll find some great ride reports by a guy named Red Pillar (I think that's his name) who has done some very long trips on his KLX.

Rob

Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Sales of plastic rockets is falling here in the UK, many riders state that there is no thrill to riding them below 100MPH. There is a big increase in "adventure" bikes and vintage stuff.

Interesting to see some stats here:
http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/...hx?id=7179&p=0

"Nearly all collisions involved bikes over 500cc"
"half of the collisions were whilst going round corners and 25% due to late braking"

Must admit I have only had positive and friendly comments from owners of large bikes wrt the KLX, they often look at it quite whistfully - I think thay can appreciate its non-intimidating character. The only feeling of "looking down" I have experienced is from the occasional owner of a gaudy orange enduro bike.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DT175MX
Sales of plastic rockets is falling here in the UK, many riders state that there is no thrill to riding them below 100MPH. There is a big increase in "adventure" bikes and vintage stuff.
I can imagine the weather here has a huge impact towards the fall of 'big bikes' sales. I have family that had 1000cc bikes that have just sat in the garage for weeks if not months due to poor weather.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd rather have a bike that I can wring 100% of the performance out of than one that is too heavy and powerful that I only use 50% of it. My friends on their 650cc DS's never seem to want to take the real knarly trails.
I always seem to have smaller displacement bikes and cars, my sport bike was a GPZ 550, only time the big bikes took me was on the straights, not the corners. Not a lot of skill in going fast in a straight line.
Can't tell you how many times my Focus gets blown away on the highway, only to find the fool in the "sports car" holding me up in the turns because he has no idea how to brake or hold a line.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by old man
Can't tell you how many times my Focus gets blown away on the highway, only to find the fool in the "sports car" holding me up in the turns because he has no idea how to brake or hold a line.
And when your on there buts in a turn they get mad and start charging corners and eventually wipe, car or sport bike. sad sometimes

Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, I *love* my Triumph Tiger. It is wonderful for touring. Unfortunately my husband won't let me have two bikes.
After finishing Lois's book "Lois on the Loose" about her trip from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, I jumped on my Honda 599 and rode down to Casas Grandes, Mexico. That was also a nice bike.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

on reflection , perhaps intimidated is not the correct word.

everyone is out having fun on their 2 wheels in their own way.

if your klx met my GS/Concours on the open roads , you'll see a blur. The GS/Concours wouldn't have any time to be intimidated ...

but if my klx met a GS/Concours on single trails , muddy tracks ... haha ... yeah

Last edited by pistole; 04-11-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pistole
on reflection , perhaps intimidated is not the correct word.

everyone is out having fun on their 2 wheels in their own way.

if your klx met my GS/Concours on the open roads , you'll see a blur. The GS/Concours wouldn't have any time to be intimidated ...

but if my klx met a GS/Concours on single trails , muddy tracks ... haha ... yeah

By the time you reached the half way point they'll have picked there bikes up 10 times within the first mile

Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

You really don't want to do a long, asphalt only, ride on a 250, or worse yet a 225, but but if your long trip includes stretches of crappy Forest Service roads and the like, it's hard to beat a small dual sport m/c.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
I can imagine the weather here has a huge impact towards the fall of 'big bikes' sales. I have family that had 1000cc bikes that have just sat in the garage for weeks if not months due to poor weather.
Nice to have a bike that looks right when dirty, isn't it!

Quick Reply: Why're big bikes so intimidated?