Whole throttle and cable assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default Whole throttle and cable assembly

This comes up every now and then, and I can't recall all the details and options...so...in the spirit of laziness I ask the crew what they found.

After 11 years on the original OEM throttle cable, I'm going to replace it as it's become a little sticky. I use just a pull cable on my TM36-68, and I was thinking of ditching the whole throttle housing and all for a new complete single cable setup. I've been running the stock length factory cable, but I'd actually like a little longer for more routing options. I've had no problem with the OEM setup, but it's time after 11 years. Of course it has to have a carb end like the OEM which works on the CV and pumper carb.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I LOVE my Motion Pro Vortex 1/4 turn throttle. With my stock CVK carb, it's only 1/8 turn. I ditched the switches and only use a momentary starter button. Kill engine with the key. Love this setup.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Mine doesn't have any controls in the dual cable throttle housing other than the cables...'06 model. That Motion Pro Vortex looks a lot like the Gunnar Gasser throttle I used to run on 2-strokes back in the day. Not really a fan of the quick turn throttles on this KLX, but that's not based on personal use. I find the OEM rate of pull suitable with the pumper carb. I'm guessing you guys who run this quick pull setup have no issues with it, right?

Werloc, what cable did you order with that throttle? The one I see them recommend on MP's site indicates a 01-0713, but it has no 6mm threaded linkage hardware to connect the carb's throttle wheel.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Thad,
Motion Pro should now have the stock '06 cable design in their files if that makes any difference.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Thad,
Motion Pro should now have the stock '06 cable design in their files if that makes any difference.
Ahhh...didn't see anything like that, but I will look again. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
This comes up every now and then, and I can't recall all the details and options...so...in the spirit of laziness I ask the crew what they found.

After 11 years on the original OEM throttle cable, I'm going to replace it as it's become a little sticky. I use just a pull cable on my TM36-68, and I was thinking of ditching the whole throttle housing and all for a new complete single cable setup. I've been running the stock length factory cable, but I'd actually like a little longer for more routing options. I've had no problem with the OEM setup, but it's time after 11 years. Of course it has to have a carb end like the OEM which works on the CV and pumper carb.
There's a link to the Motion Pro longer pull cable (06-07 KLX250) for the TM36-68 on this web page Mikuni TM 36-68 Pumper Carb
Just scroll down the page for the pdf file of the cable

Doug

Old 03-04-2017, 03:28 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
There's a link to the Motion Pro longer pull cable (06-07 KLX250) for the TM36-68 on this web page Mikuni TM 36-68 Pumper Carb
Just scroll down the page for the pdf file of the cable

Doug
Well that made it simple. Good info there, dp. Thanks much. Hey, looking at your location, you wouldn't happen to know another KLX guy named Mike Drake in your neighborhood, would you?

Again, thanks. I can keep my throttle which I have no issues with.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well that made it simple. Good info there, dp. Thanks much. Hey, looking at your location, you wouldn't happen to know another KLX guy named Mike Drake in your neighborhood, would you?

Again, thanks. I can keep my throttle which I have no issues with.
Yes I know Mike. He's a school teacher and lives in Brevard NC about 15 miles from me.
I've ridden with him but not lately.

Doug

Old 03-04-2017, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want some choice go with a Magura 314 duo throttle. It has two cuts on the throttle tube to have a slow or quick turn. 100 degree or 90 degree, also depends on the carb as to how quick. I had one on the trials bike to have the burst of throttle I wanted. With a 24mm Mikuni the turn wasn't close to 90 degrees... much quicker.

Got one on the SR500, but not gotten that project finished yet.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
Yes I know Mike. He's a school teacher and lives in Brevard NC about 15 miles from me.
I've ridden with him but not lately.

Doug
Small world. I worked with his dad for years and am still friends with him. I knew Mike as a kid and have had some contact with him on some of the motorcycle forums. I've been in your town and neighboring area...beautiful country.

Quick Reply: Whole throttle and cable assembly