Who Will Be Stocking KLX250S Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Default Who Will Be Stocking KLX250S Parts?

Probably a bit early in the process, but I wonder who will be our parts "go to guy" for the KLX250S? I've dealth with Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports on parts for the KLR. His prices are fair, but what really puts Fred in the limelight is his excellent customer service. You will never receive a package faster than those ordered from Fred.

A great and knowledgable person to deal with.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Who Will Be Stocking KLX250S Parts?

When I asked what parts were availiable my parts guy looked it up and they didn't even have the data yet. Oh well, one thing I think I would like to do even though I am not going to be a hard rider, is to get a full skid plate. I don't even know if I will ever jump the bike, but we do have big rocks here in the northwest, so just in case I thought it would be a good idea.

deej

Old 12-12-2005, 04:54 PM

Different strokes for different riders.

We don't have any big stones here. Sand is what covers are state and is what our state sits upon. In reality, Florida is a huge sandbar that separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Atlantic Ocean. The skidplate on my KLX suits that to a 'T'.

I keep hearing the words that the KLX250S shares a lot of parts commonality with the KLX300R. Do you know if that's true?

I'm looking to put more dirt oriented footpegs on the bike and would like to know what fits.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep. Fred's the best.

I have to get a full skid plate pronto. I live in rock country. I'm going to go with the UtahSportCycle.com skid plate and the FourStrokeWorks water pump guard.

Many things that fit the KLX300R will fit our bikes but I'm not sure about exhaust. On the parts drawings, the KLX300R header bolts are very different than those on the drawings for our bike (horizontal vs. vertical) so one of the most recommended changes by 300R owners may not be available to us yet.

The other "must do" mod seems to be the shift star. Either buy a replacement or modify the OEM piece to prevent jumping out of gear.

BTW Deric, this bike flys! I was jumping it at the MX part of the OHV park I ride at along with a guy on a CRF230F and another on a KDX250. I was hanging right there with them! The biggest jump I tried had both wheels 8' off the ground and covered about 20' feet. Not much by MX standards but that's 8' higher than I ever jumped my KLR650 I haven't touched the suspension settings yet. There still setup per the manual which talks about a 150lb rider. I'm 210lb so I'm sure I need some more compression on the spring but I didn't bottom out when jumping so maybe I'll leave it alone. Sag seems about right but I've yet to measure it.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Jumping? Crazy!! Jumping is not for me I just want to keep the bike looking good as long as I can, I just don't feel comfortable being off the ground, but good for you, you are testing what these things can do. I'll stick to the ground LOL

Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 PM

Holy Cow!

Would have looked like a flying pig going by if you tried that on the KLR650! [sm=badidea.gif]

Of course it would all have come to an unpleasant end around the time of touch down - or would that be slam down?

I've had air under the KLR650, but 8 foot? It would burrow, not land! The accompanying shock from the lack of suspension would drive the 'boys' up into your throat. You'd kind of look like a chipmunk or someone that had a serious case of the mumps!

The thought of that landing scares me!

Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Trust me guys, I was as shocked as you. I worked up to the 8' jump very slowly. I was just amazed at how well the suspension soaked up the landings (I did notice some track marks on the chain roller mounted on the frame ). Also, the landing area for that jump was about 6" of soft, loose dirt.

I'm not a crazy rider by any stretch. I've never jumped any of my other dual sport bikes. I just happened to get a bit of air on one up hill climb and decided to see just what the bike would do. Like Marty said, jumping a KLR650 is not for the faint of heart.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the bash plate I want. I've seen it on several bikes but can't find a source:

Old 12-13-2005, 07:39 PM

Judging from the picture, that might be a "made from" part.

The finish on the opening to clear the case protectors is not the same quality of finish as the rest of the plate.

Just sent off a request for information to Moose to find out if the plate they make for the KLX300 looks like the one you show.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

You may be correct. However, I've seen at least half of dozen similar plates (in several colors). Mostly from Japan where a street legal KLX250R has been sold for many years.

Quick Reply: Who Will Be Stocking KLX250S Parts?