Who is good with the electrical system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm with David, sounds like starter clutch is not engaging.

Like he said, can you push start it? (compression is good)

Now this is total wild *** guess.... but is it possible the starter motor itself is wired in opposite way in the 09 bikes compared to 07?
A DC motor turns in the direction of dictated by the DC current flow. If the starter now turns the wrong way the clutch wouldn't engage.

--
Mikko

Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

IF the starter is a 4 brush motor with the fields wound in series with the armature, the motor will still turn the same way. If its a permanent magnet motor, then its another story.

I hope its easy to get to.

David

Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

The starter I am using is my original off my 07 so I know it works. There are no stripped gears. The generator/cover is also off of my 07...

I have all wires hooked up except the neutral wire. It will do nothing if I just hit the start button, I have to hold the clutch in to get it to spin.. That's OK with me, just gotta find out why it is not engaging the motor. I know nothing is stripped.

I will pull that gear out today and double check that everything is tight.

I haven't tried bump-starting it just because the bike isn't all back together. I just have everything hooked up so I could make sure it all worked before I took the time to put everything back together.

I guess I could get it to where I can roll it and try a bump start.. That still won't help with the starter issue. I'd guess it will bump start... I'm just concerned about the starter motor working correctly right now.

That's the last part I thought would give me trouble! Everything seems right!! Son of a beeeyotch.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Fun thread you're going to get it larry.

That was a strange noise. I would check the e-start gear reducing gizmo (technical term) and check how it is engaging the starter and motor itself. ...take this thing out and check it out. Bump the starter a couple times with it removed and make sure the starter gear is going where is should too.

Oh, how did you check the compression without the starter working?

Name:  DSC01017.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  103.9 KB

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 03-20-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Yah, that's all that's under that plate, not much, jus a gear or two.. I really don't think it's in the wrong way but I will double-check it..

It almost sounds like an electrical prob. I had my truck battery hooked up as if I was jump-starting the bike. I wonder if I take my bike battery out completely and jump the truck battery right to the leads for the bike battery if that would have a difference? If my bike battery is toast will it cause a problem or should the jump from the truck take over?

And when I said it had good compression I meant it just felt nice while cranking by hand. Felt just like how it was before when I'd crank by hand. I haven't done a proper compression check yet. I'll do that once I get the thing to start!

I'm going down to the garage after I finish breakfast. Going to pull that starter plate again and just make sure it all looks good.

I need to figure this out! Missing prime riding days!
Thanks for all help guys.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Good Luck.

Does that gear have the same part number for the 07 and 09?

Does the starter have the same part number for the 07 & 09?

Don't forget to test the starter with the gear removed and watch what it does. Also remove the bike battery from the equation if you can do it easily.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 03-20-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Should the starter gear pop out like on a car starter? Give it power, and it pops out and spins?

I will look at it in a minute..

Old 03-20-2011, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup, the same as a car

Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Well it doesn't "pop out" but it doesn't look like it should really. If I engage the starter with that gear cover plate off, it will spin the gear just fine, and I can see another gear deeper inside that is spinning also.. So it appears the whole starter mechanism is working as it should, but it's not catching on the gear inside that needs to spin the motor.

Also the gear from the 09 and 07 are identical. Same size and teeth. I just checked that.

I was going to take the generator off again, but it's filled with oil and I have a feeling it would pour out if I removed the generator gear. I guess I gotta drain the oil and go from there.

What else could it be? Could the bottom end of the 09 have a different gear set inside that doesn't jive with the starter motor/generator of the 07? Why is this such a PITA!!! hahaaa

guhdam.

Last edited by CousinLarry; 03-20-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an 07 and 09 in my shop and I don't know if anything else is different but the actual starter on my 09 has a different housing than the 07, in htat the wire harness enters the back of the 09 and it enters the top 0f the 07. I haven't thaken mine apart yet but is there a bendix type gear in there like a car starter? It sounds as if it is not sliding out to engage the ring gear. It also sounds the same as when you have a bad ground on a car starter and the bendix sort of goes in and out.
Strange sound any way. This is one of the more interesting problems in a while.

Quick Reply: Who is good with the electrical system?