Where to Get Molybdenum Disulfide Grease

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Where to Get Molybdenum Disulfide Grease

Jeez you guys sometimes overthink things, just use HTB (high temp bearing) grease

Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Where to Get Molybdenum Disulfide Grease

LOL! I know. If I wasn't aware of what forum this is, I might have thought we were working on the Space Shuttle.

The high temp bearing grease should suffice for any non-engine bearing on the bike. Bearings like those in the headset, swingarn, etc don't really reach very high temps so I doubt they would tax any blead of bearing grease all that much. They just need something with good lubricating properties thay will aslo displace water.

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

Jeez you guys sometimes overthink things, just use HTB (high temp bearing) grease

Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
The can I got is labeled "Coastal" brand, "Industrial" and "Moly EP" are on the front. It's a black can, roughly pint sized and the back of the can says it contains molybdenum disulfide. I'll post a photo later if that is still desired.
I just bought this moly grease. Just a heads up it is no longer called "Industrial". they changed it to say Premium, maybe because they don't want to get sued with what industrial implies. the part number is still the same and everything else is same. just buy the one in the quart size can with a lid that looks like a coffee can. don't get the skinny tube unless you're using it for a greasegun, which you are not. what I notice is the designation of the grease. NLGI No. 2, look for that standard written on it. I say some royal purple lube on Amazon and someone said no, but seriously it said NLGI No. 2 and it works on bullet trains so I think its as good if not better. again look for something that says doesn't wash out (meaning waterproof), molybdenum, NLGI No. 2 , high pressure, and you should be good. I really am curious about the royal purple lube though, its synthetic, which I don't know what that means

here's the link to autozone's item, remember the picture is wrong it's called premium now not industrial and this cost me $3.99 pplus tax in store:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=561753_0_0_

*update: also just learn something significant. moly grease and paste are 2 different things and it is important you know when to use which. the grease like this coastal stuff coedntains 1% moly, the honda pro 60 (very popular and sought after) is 60%moly. moly itself I think is crumbly so depending on useage for ..whatever this is really confusing ****. basically if the manual says use grease use moly grease, if it specifically says paste use paste, like for the gears in the engine when youre doing timing. you can get the honda moly 60 on amazon or ebay for $12, it's really really sought after for honda bikes because they have some swingarm issue or whatnot and AR15 owners are stressed out even more than we are because it's a milspec requirement, man this **** is confusing

Last edited by eksine; 04-08-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

FWIW, guys, don't use the grease which has the grey-ish "powdered" moly in it. Bad, bad, bad, especially for U-joints and wheel bearings. The powder will cause galling. Use stuff that has been fortified with liquid moly. I will not get into brand name-dropping here, but there is a difference. This is not a "Jeff's been brainwashed by some salesman" thing; there's several reports out there on the web.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this a new record for a thread coming back from the dead? October 27, 2006 to April 7, 2013.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Moly grease isn't for everything, as some have already stated. It's not the best for wheel bearings and many other rotating bearing designs. That's where the many wheel bearing greases are really applicable, and on things like off road and boating use, marine grease is probably even better. Just make sure it has high temp ratings for disc brake application...the good marine greases do. Moly grease is more suited to things like where two sliding surfaces interface like the splines in a driveshaft, suspension ball joints, etc. It's not the best for bearings. And while our needle bearing suspension pivots don't rotate like a wheel bearing, multipurpose greases and especially marine greases do a better job of lubing those needles and getting down into the crevices contained in a needle bearing. Moly grease doesn't migrate as well and can leave some tiny spots somewhat unprotected in a needle bearing unit.

Even though this link is from a trailer site, it has a fairly decent description of grease types and applications. Some kind of grease for any application is better than no grease at all, but there are preferred applications that work better.

Old thread or not, there's lots of confusion about the kinds of grease and where they should be applied. Over the years, I've used marine high temp wheel bearing grease for just about everything on a bike like the KLX. They are exposed to more moisture because of their use and environment, and they often don't have as robust a seal design at all possible points of water entry as some automobile applications. Moly grease is actually a little more specialized than many of the other greases out there IMO.

Overview of Lubricating Grease | etrailer.com

Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Penrite Moly Grease Tub - 500g - Supercheap Auto Australia

Thats what i got from my local super**** auto. Hope its fine for the head bolts.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
FWIW, guys, don't use the grease which has the grey-ish "powdered" moly in it. Bad, bad, bad, especially for U-joints and wheel bearings. The powder will cause galling. Use stuff that has been fortified with liquid moly. I will not get into brand name-dropping here, but there is a difference. This is not a "Jeff's been brainwashed by some salesman" thing; there's several reports out there on the web.
There's no way to know if its powered or liquid, do you know if the coastal stuff is liquid? also do you know if the honda 60 moly is liquid or not and also can you just tell me which one your talking about that you won't tell us?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I use the (purple) Polaris Premium All-Season Grease on pretty much everything on my sleds and bike. It is an all temperature, highly water-proof grease, which is recommended for virtually all the bearings on my snowmobiles (skid wheel bearings, drive shaft bearings, etc.). I have used it on the sleds for many years. With all the water they see, I've never had an issue with bearings rusting or seizing. It's around $9 for a large grease-gun tube...

MSDS here: http://www.purepolarisoil.com/msds/P...0_0138_(1).pdf

Looks like it is NOT Moly-based...

Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ek, my personal preference (at the risk of starting a quasi oil-name dropping thread) is Schaeffer. I met with the rep a couple years ago, and we did the Timken bearing test on site. He put metal roller bearings in the machine, and we applied several name-brand greases (edit---individual tests) to the friction edges. I put most of my weight onto the machine to induce a load on the bearings. Some of the big name brands showed obvious signs of galling and began to smoke! Then, we put some Schaeffer grease on the bearings. Seriously, I put a heckuva lot of my weight on those things, and could NOT induce any wear. It's pretty impressive when it's right in front of you. I use their greases and gear lubes (tranny, diffs) and love that stuff. Lubrication Engineers makes some great products, too. No doubt, Amsoil does, as well. OK; no more name-dropping.....

Quick Reply: Where to Get Molybdenum Disulfide Grease