Where to Begin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Where to Begin?

cwgoff,

Actually, it is NOT a time critical operation. One just has to be very careful about making sure the diaphram is seated in the groove on the top of the carb.

On the slide, there are two holes in the bottom of of, the front one (facing the intake valves) is the hole you drill. In the photo below it is the one closest to the edge of the slide.

Name:  Theoneontheright.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  48.8 KB

The next photo shows the bottom of the carb with the bowl removed. If you look at the right side of the photo, you will see a brass colored screw sitting in a tube that has a black mark on it. The cover has been removed from this carb. I have drilled out many a carb on Kawasaki bikes and you can do this WITHOUT removing the carb. First of all, just loosen the clamps holding the carb. Then remove the throttle linkage, idle adjustment link and CAREFULLY twist the carb so you can see the spot that needs to be drilled. Use a small drill bit - I used a 7/64ths - didn't want to have a bunch of tools out. You need to drill into the cover until the drill bit just makes it through the material - about 3/32nds of an inch. Then just stick a scribe awl or small sheet metal screw into the hole and pull out the cover. Set your pilot screw and you're all set.

Name:  AfterRemoval.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  72.2 KB

Here's an exploded drawing of the carb in the event you need it.

Name:  klx250carb.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  53.0 KB

When are you going to do this? If you need it, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone so if you need someone to talk you through it, you have it.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 PM

Marty,

I just sent you a PM.

Let me just say to everyone, including Marty - you guys (and I assume there is a lady or two out there as well) are an incredible resource. I have been pinging people left and right with questions for the past two weeks here trying to get ready for this work. I am pretty handy, but I am usually learning as I go. While that is okay if I am installing a baby gate or building a kid's bicycle, it's a whole 'nuther thing when it comes to potentially screwing up an expensive toy (I mean commuter vehicle - doh!). It is so reassuring to have you more experienced guys so ready and willing to talk us through. I am very grateful, and I look forward to helping some other new folks after I have gained some more experience myself.

Best regards to all.

Chris

Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Quote from NoBrakes. "Regarding PWI - it is never spoken of nor explained, understanding will come to you when you are ready" LOL kind of like, you have much to learn young Jedi

Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Marty, they are the best, clearest, well lit closeups I have seen using a digital camera

Garry

Old 09-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Mav,

I thought the same thing when I saw them. They look unnaturally clear. Especially the one of the bottom of the carb. I remember thinking that Marty must have carried his bike home on a truck and immediately opened up the carb to take that picture. The carb and everything around it looks surgical clean. Maybe he is outsourcing his photography to Deej.

Thanks again Marty.

Chris

Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright you guys caught me, A lot of the guys here are out sourcing their photo request to me now, especially for warranty work, its always good to send in a picture that makes the bike look like it hasn't been abused. I might quit my regular job and do this full time.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I didnt read all the posts of this thread and not sure if this will help or not But I saw someplace that once you remove the diaphram to soak it in hot water right away Otherwize it will expand on you and be a bitch to get back installed correctly. I think thats in the service manual. Just a little food for thought.

LV

Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

When the bike shop did the jetting on my bike they had a heck of a time getting the O-ring or something I'm not sure back on the carb, they actually had to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours to get it to shrink back down, otherwise if they had one in stock they would have just replaced it.[&:]

Old 09-07-2006, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

When the bike shop did the jetting on my bike they had a heck of a time getting the O-ring or something I'm not sure back on the carb, they actually had to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours to get it to shrink back down, otherwise if they had one in stock they would have just replaced it.[&:]

I believe that was the diaphram. I know I read somewhere that once you remove it it will expand and be a bear to get back in. they suggested putting it in hot water to keep it from expanding. Wish i could remember where I read that though.

LV

Quick Reply: Where to Begin?