What's The Best Way To Test a Backfire Screen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Default What's The Best Way To Test a Backfire Screen?

Well, I went and ordered a "Replacement Backfire Filter" for a YZ450F. Heck if the Twin-Air normal replacement filter fits a KLX250, this one should too. Right? - Yeah, I know famous last words.

Now, how would be the best way to test this setup?

I would prefer to do the testing while NOT SEATED on the bike - for reasons yet to be named.

Can probably make it a bit rich and then open the throttle very quickly while still a bit cold. That always produced a nice big flame on the cars I played with!

So, what can we do to get an idea that this will keep "Flaming Filters" from becoming a reality in our own little world?

This is something I NEVER want to see under my seat and what is seated upon my seat!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What's The Best Way To Test a Backfire Screen?

... My seat looked like that once. But it was from bad Mexican food! [:@]

Willum
TC
Wichita Falls, TX

Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

How about a Lysol Flame Thrower?

It is a more predictable way to produce flames than trying to get your bike to do something you don't want it to do in the first place.

You might want to devise some kind of test panel to ensure that flames only reach the inside of the filter. If the filter works as advertised, then there's nothing to worry about ... if not, you should be able to get your money back, right?

Also, if it works as advertised, you could torch the stock air filter afterwards, just for comparison.

Mike

Old 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I just can't imagine the bike having such a backfire that it would ignite your oiled filter, plastic airbox, and enough to burn all the way thru your seat and ignite your *** lol.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd say a small puddle of fuel with a remote ignitor say from a bbq grille, run the wires away and set the filter over top. All you want is a momentary flame, its not a continuous flame, and if it is I'd say the backfire screen is the least of your worries.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

just set it up and do the old hair spray and lit lighter.... see if the flames go through...

Old 12-07-2006, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think hairspray is a good idea because it will probably leave a residue. Lysol at least evaporates (after killing 99.9% of the germs first!). I suppose washing the filter afterwards in any case is a good idea.

The gasoline puddle trick might work, too, but as he says, you want a flash, not a continuous flame, so use a very small puddle.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Marty,

Are you planning on removing the back fire screen? Are you testing to see if the K&N filters protect the bike from catching fire? I think I am going to do this if it works.. it seems like and easy 1.5 hp gain..

Old 12-08-2006, 02:05 AM

ntloser,

Actually I'm NOT going with the K&N filter.

After StainlessTT posted that he found he could put a Twin Air filter onto his 2004 YZ450F, I did some looking around. There is also a replacement backfire filter made for that model of bike available from Twin Air. I've placed an order and hope to have it here by the weekend.

Here's the info on the Twin Air Replacement Backfire Filter.

I'll let everyone know. Hopefully it's not after a visit to the emergency room!

BTW, can you take a picture and post it?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Ok but mostly you are doing this so you can remove the backfire screen?

Here are some pics I snapped a few minutes ago.. I am assuming you wanted pics of the bike..

BTW I think I need to tighten the chain..white stuff is chain lube...

Broken chamber tab: See what I mean there is some weird build up around that tab.. like it is wet.. i think there is a hole in the chamber...

Already 3 oil changes

I know I say I am going to do this and that but it seems something always comes up.. ..So I am changing my wording.. i PLAN ON the HMF pipe, the jetting and remove the backfire screen with he proper air filter.... I don't want to dump tons of money into the bike.. I would rather pay it off and get a 2nd bike that is mucho powerful