What's best exhaust for man on "new baby" budget?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What's best exhaust for man on "new baby" budget?

I'm new to the off road bike world. I'm upgrading the stock muffler on my 2006 KLX250s and am on a slim budget thanks to my beautiful new four month old daughter. I saw the FMF Powercore 4 is in the mid $200 range but read reviews that the sound is not much different than stock and performance increase was so-so. Can I get recommendations on a nominally priced muffler that will show me improvements in both power and sound. I am not racing, but want significant improvement over stock.
Thanks

Last edited by mtbjunkie09; 09-02-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the powercore4 and love it. It does sound way different than that stock piece of crap. Much louder but not too lound IMO. And I noticed a huge difference in performance. Granted I did do the jet kit then the air filter and then the slip on, but I would say the muffler was the most noticable upgrade so far. And it was good priced. I got it at gnarlyparts.ca on sale

Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

get the cheapest aftermarket muffler you can, anyone aftermarket will be better than stock.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtbjunkie09
but want significant improvement over stock.
Thanks
Your best bet is to get the big bore kit with klx300 needle & bigger pilot & main jets from the dealer. 'Significant' gains are not to be had by a pipe & jet kit alone, slight or partial gains maybe.

Ask anyone what the big bore does performance wise. Even with the stock pipe.

Just my opinion tho....flame away people....

Old 09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help. I guess I should add that I am looking for a simple slip on. New four month old baby and two other kiddos means limitied time for bike work. Bolt on and go would be great. All opinions welcome and appreciated.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Watch ebay for any used performance slip-on as they all add performance and sound. I also have the powercore 4 and even before the jet kit it was the single best bang for the buck mod I have done to the bike.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

"Best" cannot be determined as one person will think one brand is "best" and someone else will think another is "best". If you have to watch your dollars, you might as well go with the least expensive and/or a used one from eBay.

Good luck and congrats on the baby.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. More specifically I am looking for different opinions on what different riders consider the best bang for the buck. Right now the FMF powercore 4 slip on is the only one in that price range I have seen. I'm new to the off road world.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

If you're riding off-road, go with something quiet! That is; unless you want to ride only roads... after the tree-huggers have shut down all the trails.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
If you're riding off-road, go with something quiet! That is; unless you want to ride only roads... after the tree-huggers have shut down all the trails.
Definitely don't want something quiet. Stock exhaust is way too subdued for me.

Quick Reply: What's best exhaust for man on "new baby" budget?