What is wrong with my kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What is wrong with my kickstand?

Just bought this bike used. The angle that it sits at is crazy. Could the kickstand tab be bent? Should I just weld some sheet metal to the bottom in order to make it longer?

Last edited by Nietzsche; 04-07-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Glue a block of wood to the bottom of the stand to lenghten it until your happy, it does look a little more sideways than most.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Glue a block of wood to the bottom of the stand to lenghten it until your happy, it does look a little more sideways than most.
lol good idea

Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Might be a SF kickstand on the bike. It is a bit shorter than the S kickstand. Post up a photo with a tape measure on it. I have both and when I switch between my 17" and 18/21" wheels I change out the kickstands too else the bike leans too much or is too vertical depending on which stand and wheels are on the bike. Edit: I just took a rough measurement of my two kick stands and found the SF stand to be 2.5-3 inches shorter than my S stand. Definitely more than 2.5" difference. That's more than the thickness of a 2x4 under the stand.

Last edited by snappster; 04-11-2020 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:02 AM

My bike is the same. I think it's because I stand on the left side footpeg to climb on. Please post your solution.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
Might be a SF kickstand on the bike. It is a bit shorter than the S kickstand. Post up a photo with a tape measure on it. I have both and when I switch between my 17" and 18/21" wheels I change out the kickstands too else the bike leans too much or is too vertical depending on which stand and wheels are on the bike. Edit: I just took a rough measurement of my two kick stands and found the SF stand to be 2.5-3 inches shorter than my S stand. Definitely more than 2.5" difference. That's more than the thickness of a 2x4 under the stand.
i just measured my kickstand it is 11.5”

Old 04-11-2020, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BCLS482
My bike is the same. I think it's because I stand on the left side footpeg to climb on. Please post your solution.
yea I was thinking that the PO may have bent the tab. He bent the Right side foot peg mount. I was able to beat it level with a 3lb sledgehammer. I have a new pair of DRC pegs in the mail. If my kickstand is the right one for my bike I will bend the tab back with the sledgehammer.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

My 07 is a little over 13" from CL of bolt to end of flat part. ... and wash that thing before you start working on it!
I don't think bending the tab is going to be much help if your that far off. I still think a 2x4 could be made just right. And you will not break anything ... else.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

My SF kickstand measures 11" from the bolt hole center to the pad, so it looks like you have the short stand. I would just find the correct kickstand instead of jury rigging something. Edit: I also measured my S stand at around 13.5" from bolt to pad.

Last edited by snappster; 04-11-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
My SF kickstand measures 11" from the bolt hole center to the pad, so it looks like you have the short stand. I would just find the correct kickstand instead of jury rigging something. Edit: I also measured my S stand at around 13.5" from bolt to pad.
great info thanks. I will look for one on fleabay. Unless anyone here wants to trade?

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my kickstand