What would be better? Exhaust mod or bigbore?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What would be better? Exhaust mod or bigbore?

Hi guys I need some help with this one and advice. I'm taking the big leap soonand modifying my KLX. I have two choices in mind. My first choice is to get a bigger fueltank combined with a hybrid pipe and bigger carbor just go for the big bore solution. $$$ are limiting me so if I do go the big bore path thats all it will be just the kit only. The reason why I need a bigger fuel tank is distance thus adding a bigger carby and pipe to help the engine open up more and to give me a better rev range and a little more power. Would the big bore kit alone give the same results in power and rev range or would I need to go a new exhaust as well to see this happen? I love the fuel economy I'm getting now from stock form but I am getting slightly frustrated with the lack of power on long trips. What would be the best solution for what I want? Cheers! and thanks in advance for your replies and wisdom.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What would be better? Exhaust mod or bigbore?

IMHO you'll get more with the carb and pipe combo, even though I'll remain 250cc.
You can't really do the 300cc upgrade without firstly doing the pipe.
If the 300cc is a must, try to source a full 300 pipe. That might be a cheap option.
The carb will have the greatest effect on performance, but only with a pipe/pipe & muffler/muffler.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Rejet the stock Keihen carb and go with a slip-on muffler - it will make a world of difference!!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a plan and what I really wanted to do in the first place, thanks for the advice guys . New pipe, carb rejet and bigger tank, yea baby lets get this party started........woot woot!!
Cheers!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Pumpers are a waste of money IMO.... i would probably get exhaust then bigger bore....

Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Eric, if you want more highway power the pumper carb does nothing for you. If you can find a stock 300 full exhaust it makes a good deal more power than the stock 250 and can be had under $100. Its a start and will work ok with a big bore. Dollar for dollar the big bore will give you more torque/power than a pipe and they aren't far off in price.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

i did a full rehaul.
new muzzy, rejet, airfilter, remove airbox cover, 13T and the bike is totally different then what rolled of the show room floor.

first thing I did on its own was the muzzy and that increased power 10 fold (just a perception).

with all done bike runs fantastic

Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got a KLX-300 pipe set ready to install. Those can be had pretty cheap.

Once my carb parts come in, I'm rejetting and doing the free mods.

I considered regearing with a 13/45 sprocket and new chain but, for the money a 331/340 big bore is more cost effective. With a 331/340 motor would I really want 13/45 sprocket set anyway?

Go cheap withKLX-300 pipes and muffler (lots of folks upgrade so there are plenty around that sell cheap) and big bore you ride with the carb rejet and free mods and you will have a major upgrade in power. The carb parts are required so, nocost savingsthere. A muzzy is what - $500? 50% the price a big bore & KLX-300 exhaust option?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

I've got a KLX-300 pipe set ready to install. Those can be had pretty cheap.

Once my carb parts come in, I'm rejetting and doing the free mods.

I considered regearing with a 13/45 sprocket and new chain but, for the money a 331/340 big bore is more cost effective. With a 331/340 motor would I really want 13/45 sprocket set anyway?

Go cheap withKLX-300 pipes and muffler (lots of folks upgrade so there are plenty around that sell cheap) and big bore you ride with the carb rejet and free mods and you will have a major upgrade in power. The carb parts are required so, nocost savingsthere. A muzzy is what - $500? 50% the price a big bore & KLX-300 exhaust option?
KLX300 exhausts are NOT easy to find. I agree, the pumper carb is really just a novelty if you're using this bike as a true dual-sport machine. The pumper carb will actually suck for road-use. The stock carb, when jetted properly and teamed with an aftermarket exhaust is pretty darn good. The big-bore kit is not a $1000 investment, more like $600-$700. If you can find a 300 cylinder somewhere that at least is not cracked you can do the big-bore mod from kustomkraft.com for around $450 plus the cylinder cost. I got one from a member here last year for around $125 I believe. Pipe's are nice and DO add power and awesome sound, but realistically the 300 exhaust with buttplug removed and the 331cc kit will flat out run I'm bettin'. But to have a nice piece hanging off your bike that makes it sound mean is priceless when accented with carb mods and the 13-toother. And no, you won't really need 13/45. When I went to that from the 13/42 I preferred the former as it is an all around great combination. If you truly want to do these mods the cheapest way, the 300 exhaust and a sleeved 340 kit is probably your cheapest way. No extra cylinder cost and no high dollar $400 exhaust system but the turnaround will suck with your stock cylinder being the one sleeved.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner
KLX300 exhausts are NOT easy to find. I agree, the pumper carb is really just a novelty if you're using this bike as a true dual-sport machine. The pumper carb will actually suck for road-use. The stock carb, when jetted properly and teamed with an aftermarket exhaust is pretty darn good. The big-bore kit is not a $1000 investment, more like $600-$700. If you can find a 300 cylinder somewhere that at least is not cracked you can do the big-bore mod from kustomkraft.com for around $450 plus the cylinder cost. I got one from a member here last year for around $125 I believe. Pipe's are nice and DO add power and awesome sound, but realistically the 300 exhaust with buttplug removed and the 331cc kit will flat out run I'm bettin'. But to have a nice piece hanging off your bike that makes it sound mean is priceless when accented with carb mods and the 13-toother. And no, you won't really need 13/45. When I went to that from the 13/42 I preferred the former as it is an all around great combination. If you truly want to do these mods the cheapest way, the 300 exhaust and a sleeved 340 kit is probably your cheapest way. No extra cylinder cost and no high dollar $400 exhaust system but the turnaround will suck with your stock cylinder being the one sleeved.
Hmmmm.....have YOU done any of the mods from which you speak besides a 13 sprocket re-jet and an exhaust???

Quick Reply: What would be better? Exhaust mod or bigbore?