What level of mods for roll on wheelies...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

BB331 kit- fcr pumper carb, air box lid removed, screen removed, four stroke works header and slip on, 13t- and a new rear tire (treckmaster) and a small tug on at bar and it would be up in 1st and 2nd.

It is not possible with out the pumper carb. The stock cv carb just does not have the snap.

Plan b- KTM450 exc-r, thats what I ride now.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daveg
BB331 kit- fcr pumper carb, air box lid removed, screen removed, four stroke works header and slip on, 13t- and a new rear tire (treckmaster) and a small tug on at bar and it would be up in 1st and 2nd.

It is not possible with out the pumper carb. The stock cv carb just does not have the snap.

Plan b- KTM450 exc-r, thats what I ride now.
So is the key the pumper carb? I'm fairly satisfied with the power that my KLX makes right now; it's reluctance to loft the front that drives me nuts.

If I just go with a pumper with my current setup, will I be able to loft the front over logs with just a flick of the right wrist without clutching it?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
not possible! haha i have every mod except big bore! my bike runs excellent! i weigh 135 and theres no way in hell i can do a roll on wheelie in 2nd. whats the definiton of a roll on whellie?

my definition is cruising along and u snap the throttle hard and the front end comes up.. is that right? i have to hit a bump with the front wheel and lean back hard to get a wheelie out of her.

the only way i can do a wheelie in second is using alot of throttle and clutch. the longest wheelie ive done is pulling it up in second shifting into 3rd and reved 3rd out i think it was 60 mph or so.
Very possible Keep in mind I have a SF not a S the SF are geared completely different than the S model. they are 14/39 and the suspension set up it completely different if im standing all i have to do is push down on the forks and go WOT.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bsj425
Very possible Keep in mind I have a SF not a S the SF are geared completely different than the S model. they are 14/39 and the suspension set up it completely different if im standing all i have to do is push down on the forks and go WOT.
standing up and pushing down on the suspension to do a wheelie isnt a roll on wheelie bro lol mine will to if i do that

Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

^^^ agree. a roll on wheel to me is what i could do on my husky 360 when i was a kid (a looooong time ago). any gear, roll the throttle, and wheelie all the way up the street.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

my 06 yz450f will do roll on wheelies no prob with 50 hp =)

Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

LOL come on guys please be civil, enough of the taunts, if u can't wheelie on a Husky 360 or a YZ450F there is something wrong with you.

So can anyone answer my question that I posted below? I would like to know before I pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
So is the key the pumper carb? I'm fairly satisfied with the power that my KLX makes right now; it's reluctance to loft the front that drives me nuts.

If I just go with a pumper with my current setup, will I be able to loft the front over logs with just a flick of the right wrist without clutching it?

Last edited by FM_Thumper; 07-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

FM - A pumper on the 250 will not allow you to roll wheelies. In fact, I think the pumper on a 250 is a waste of money. Put the extra cash in and go big bore with the stock carb if you want more power.

The 351 kit only rolls wheelies in first and sometimes second, but usually needs a little tug in second too. I'm pretty sure this is just not the bike for roll-on wheelies - if that's what you want get a bigger MX bike or the like..

Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
FM - A pumper on the 250 will not allow you to roll wheelies. In fact, I think the pumper on a 250 is a waste of money. Put the extra cash in and go big bore with the stock carb if you want more power.

The 351 kit only rolls wheelies in first and sometimes second, but usually needs a little tug in second too. I'm pretty sure this is just not the bike for roll-on wheelies - if that's what you want get a bigger MX bike or the like..
CL, I'm not trying to do a roll on wheelie down the block. What I want to do is when I'm in first gear, I want to be able to loft the front up to clear obstacles such as a log. I want to be able to do this without clutching it and just by flicking the throttle.

I am actually quite satisfied with the power that my 250 is putting out right now(this is not to say that a big bore is not in the future plans).

The power that the KLX250S has with the mods that I made, it should easily be able to loft the front in first without clutching it. I have ridden plenty of other bikes with much less power that wheelies much easier(ie Yamaha XT225).

So this is my theory. The KLX250S does not lack the power to wheelie, it just doesn't have the instant response required to loft the front. The culprit to me would be the mushy CV carb. My reasoning is that with the instant response of the pumper, the KLX250S has more than enough power to loft the front in first with a flick of the right wrist.

Am I wrong?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

well, I remember when I had the 250 - in first gear wheelies weren't a problem.. R's down low, crack it and lean back.. Are you sure you're leaning back far? If you're not you're wasting energy, gotta get the weight back.
Also might want to look in to one of the motion pro throttles, I have one on mine and I like it much better. Makes the carb response snappier since the travel is less, and (mechanically) quicker.

Quick Reply: What level of mods for roll on wheelies...