What GPS do you use with your KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What GPS do you use with your KLX?

Hi All, wanted to inquire about what GPS folks are using with their bikes? I've been doing a bunch of research and have so far narrowed my choices down to 2, both from Garmin:

Zumo 550 http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo

or the Nuvi 660 http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi660

Does anyone have any experience with these units and can comment, good or bad? Can you offer insight into other units you're using, and why?

I'm new to the dual sport world, and the motorcycle world in general, first year owning my own bike, and I LOVE the KLX 250 so far, been a life-changing experience for me!

I'd like to use the GPS for:

- keeping track of offroad treks so that I can see places i've been, revisit them in the future, etc.
- use the GPS to find places of interest when travelling distance
- I like the bluetooth phone feature both of these offer, however I'm having a hard time finding a bluetooth headset and mic to go inside a full-face helmet/motocross helmet
- ideally can take it off the bike and use it in the car

That's what I'm hoping to do, any thoughts/opinions/insights you can contribute would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance!

Dave

P.S. Oh yes, have been visiting board pretty much daily since May when I got my bike, just haven't had much useful to contribute, thanks a lot for an incredible amount of useful info from many forum members!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What GPS do you use with your KLX?

GEEEZEEEE, lots of Daves in this Forum, I'm going to have to change my name!!! [sm=joke.gif]

Welcome Dave!

I don't yet have a GSP but the guy I ride with has a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx that seems to keep us from getting too lost. Prior to that, is was always "take a right at the broken treestand at the intersection" which, if you've ever been to south Jersey, is just about every FRiGGEN intersection on the fire roads.....Not pretty.....

Good luck with your GPS search and welcome to the Forum!!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:55 AM

I just bought a Garmin Quest II. I'm pretty happy with it. The screen is small,but the menus are intuitive, and it's compact, and the cheapest color navigation thats water proof. You can pretty much drop it in a creek.It a great value if youdon't need bluetooth or XM radio traffic and can live with a smaller screen. I haven't had a chance to use it on my motorcycles, but I have a simple RAM mount. I'd add a smallbungee cord to it if I used it on my KLX. On my BMW R1150R it's plenty secure. Although the Garmin bracket that came with hte RAM miunt fits a little loose so the unti can rattle. I need ot call cust. service and see if that's normal. Otherwise I'll add a little foam rubber to tighten it up so it doesn't vibrate..

I don't think the Nuvi is water resistant, so I'd take it off your list. The Zumo might be a little big. It's advantage would be large buttons you can use with your gloves.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Welcome, I have an old school map76. I love Garmin and I really like the Nuvi. I have a Street Pilot with blue-tooth in my car and I really like it. I would think about upgrading but my 76 has been great all these years and it floats. Itmoves form bike to bike really easy.If you have not had a GPS you will wonder why you never had one when you get it. They are great.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 AM

If it's not water proof dont get it for a motorcycle!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Dave, where are you from? I too am looking for a GPS so come on guys lets see what you got. Nobrakes? I saw one on your bike. I have a lot of choices for GPS units......(huh huh huh he said unit) from the Dell site, I just ordered an X-BOX 360 and 8 games, I might as well go farther into debt.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Any thoughts? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...p;sku=A0816114

Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm using the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. It works good. If I were going to buy one now I would go with the Zumo 550.[/align]It's has a bigger display and was designed for motorcycles.[/align]
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by Silver_Otter; 09-18-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm
Suggested Retail Price:
$1076.91 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only) I don't think so. I think I could find myself for a lot less than that. It is nice though.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LD:en%26sa%3DN

Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I just bought the GPSMap 60Cx after doing a fair bit of research...
You'll definitely want to check out the GPS section on ADVRider for some great advice, and many reviews of the new Zumo and older Nuvi. I narrowed it down to the Quest or the 60Cx, and the 60Cx just seems to be a better fit for the job.

The 60Cx is waterproof (I don't think the Quest is).
It runs on 12V DC power so you can wire it into the bike (the Quest runs on 4.5 VDC).
The 60Cx stores multiple track logs, the Quest storesonly 1.
The 60Cx is a little bulkier than the Quest, but the quad helix antenna results in better performance when the unit is oriented in various directions.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186568

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Quick Reply: What GPS do you use with your KLX?