What dual sport helmet do you have

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What dual sport helmet do you have

Just as the title says What dual sport helmet are you wearing, why and would you recommend it? I am going to be purchasing a new helmet to go with my 2022 Klx300DS.
thanks in advance.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 05-26-2022, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet with MIPS, because Bell helmets fit me virtually perfect. I have a Bell Star DLX with MIPS too, fits like the MX does - perfect. Bell has a reputation for good quality helmets regardless of the price and material, the MX-9 is polycarbonate and the Star is a composite with fiberglass. I found the MX-9 for $175 including shipping and the Star for $375 including shipping.

The best or most expensive of helmets is a waste of money if it doesn't fit you right. So go somewhere and try helmets on then make a choice.

Order of importance:
  1. Fit
  2. Fit
  3. Fit
  4. Fit
  5. Brand
  6. Style
  7. Price
I think you catch my drift.

Last edited by klx678; 05-26-2022 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I was fitted for an arai helmet back in 2001. It was a signet GT and fit great. I have an intermediate oval shaped head. Now I have a shoei RF1200 and It fits even better than the arai did. Just need to find one that fits as well as my shoei and I will be good.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Absolutely in love with my HJC DS-X1.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
Absolutely in love with my HJC DS-X1.

that is a cool looking helmet

Old 05-28-2022, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

If anyone buys a new helmet they should plan to do the "TV test". You wear the helmet while you watch TV for an hour or so. First it should be snug fit to start, then you should not feel any hot spots, which are places where the helmet lining has bottomed out and the EPS is putting pressure on your skin, which cuts off blood flow in the capillaries, causing the burning sensation. If the snug fit is good and there are no hot spots you have a good helmet. If not, return the helmet for either a bigger size or different helmet.

I have the average American head shape and the Bell helmets fit me well HJC also fit well and similar to Bell. I wore an HJC street helmet and it was comfortable, had an MX helmet that fit well too, but I had to cut out a bit of the EPS above the eye port to fit goggles better, otherwise they were pushed down on my nose and not comfortable. The removal of that bit of EPS was no big deal. I had a Joe Rocket Hybrid made by HJC and sold in Europe under their own name. It was a nice helmet, but I should have paid attention to the reviews. The older design had the straps attaced a shade too far back and the helmet had a tendency to rotate back on my head. The newer design is better.

In another note, it seems like the AFX (and Fly) also have the American head shape, the ones I tried on felt pretty good in the brief time I tried them, no "TV test" done though.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

There needs to be a “like” button. Thanks for the information.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I've tried a couple. I prefer to just run my dirt lid with goggles and ear plugs. Cooler, lighter. And you'd have to get a $600 helmet to rival the clarity of Oakley Airbrake.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Which helmets have you tried? What was the problem?

Even with MX helmets it is still all about fit first, all else second, third, etc. The major advantage of a dual sport helmet is the protection of a face shield in rain or deflecting other debris on the road, while still being able to be open for ventilation off road and goggle capability for the same. I learned the protection factor on a couple dual sport rides where it rained fairly strong. Drops seriously stung at any speed over around 30 mph. We rode with our left hand shading the open area beneath our goggles - except the guy with the Arai dual sport helmet.

Quick Reply: What dual sport helmet do you have