What do guys think of this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default What do guys think of this?

I'vebeen offered an obscene amount of money for my DR650 from a guy I work with. The problem is, I don't know what to replace it with. My KLX is my full-time dual-sport bike now, so I'm looking for something street oriented. Something that I can commute to work on, but also take on a 100-mile ride without getting beat up. I don't like cruisers, and while I like the power of sport bikes, they are uncomfortable to me. Also, budget dictates it has to be something from the Big 4 or used.

Suzuki has the V-Strom and the Wee-Strom, but something about them just doesn't turn me on. Then I found this on Ma Green's website:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...t=introduction

From what I've read so far, the Versys is based off of the Ninja 650R. They retuned the motor for more low-end torque, and put longer-travel, more adjustable suspension on it. Horsepower is high 60's, and it weighs 400lbs. It also has an upright seating position like the V-Stroms. The headlight is fugly, but the rest of the bike seems OK, and the price is right too ($6,899). Also, since it's based off the Ninja, most aftermarket parts fit it as well.

Anybody know anything about this bike or the Ninja? My dealer won't have one until October, so he knows nothing. It just looks like it would be a neat all-around bike. What do you think?

Old 08-22-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What do guys think of this?

I have been reading about the Versy too. I'm always just a little aprehensive about being one of the first to buy a bike that hasn't really been elvauated by the public.
But, We did good on the KLX, so maybe it will be as fun as it looks!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Well since I'm not a guy I probably shouldn't even respond but I can't help it. It looks like a red banana but in a nice way if you know what I mean.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

I have been reading about the Versy too. I'm always just a little aprehensive about being one of the first to buy a bike that hasn't really been elvauated by the public.
I keep forgetting how much stuff you have in your garage, that's just unbalanced man. Slide the scale this way a little. Hmmmmmm I'll take the TW200 thanks. We'll work out the details later.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kawikathy

Well since I'm not a guy I probably shouldn't even respond but I can't help it. It looks like a red banana but in a nice way if you know what I mean.
Sorry Kathy. I meant guysin a general sort of way.

I don't think thatit's the most beautiful bike I've ever seen either. It justseems to me like it would be fun to ride and could fill a couple of roles simultaneously.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

First time I've seen it. Not bad.... I think the Ninja 650 looks nicer and is a little cheaper. They both look comfortable enough for a 100 trip. Have you riden a VFR? Very comfortable and is a great touring bike. I'm sure you could find a very nice example in that price range.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM

It doesn't look to bad, but I would be more worried about the fact that they haven't had ayear or twoto work out the kinks. That KLR looks alot sweeter.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

I keep forgetting how much stuff you have in your garage, that's just unbalanced man. Slide the scale this way a little. Hmmmmmm I'll take the TW200 thanks. We'll work out the details later.
Don't worry Deej, I'm not planning on adding anything to the stable at this time.

But tomorrow is a new day!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I read about it in the August issue of Cycle World. Dave Edwards loves the bike.

Here is a link to their web article and some photos.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=397

Old 08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I personally would rather a sport bike, since you look like your trying to get there anyway with that one. I know this is going to get me **** but I really like the CBR's by the "red" guys. I took a long trip down the highway with a 1000cc (way too much bike imo) and it was quite comfortable to say the least. I always thought a sport bike would be a backache but it was suprisingly ok.

Quick Reply: What do guys think of this?