What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What is this?

OK this might be a noob-tard question, but here I go anyways.

Between the rotor and the spokes of the wheel, is this giant rubber donut... is this supposed to be there? If so, what purpose does it serve? Or did the goober at the dealer just forget to remove some of the packing?

Here's a pic for clarification...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What is this?

might be for brake vibrations..... not sure...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i beileve your exactly right ems,, becuase my dealer was telling me somthing about it

Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

that looks silly... I would have torn it off thinking it was packing material.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRock420

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i beileve your exactly right ems,, becuase my dealer was telling me somthing about it

im always right..... thats because im the ****...... lol.....j/k

Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

that looks silly... I would have torn it off thinking it was packing material.

That's what I was thinking, too... had the dealer double-check that they were not supposed to remove it. It has a Kawa part number on it, seems to be damping vibrations in the rotor. That rotor is new for '09, maybe it's a quickie "fix" for something.

BTW... what's with this forum's love for single-quotes? They seem to be breeding.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh I didn't even notice a part # on it... I'll have to find it. Yeah we thought if it wasn't just packing material that it'd be for braking vibrations... my dad's DRZ doesn't have one, which kinda threw us off.

I was wondering why the single quotes were quadrupling every post LOL

Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ems is definitely correct and this has been discussed around three months ago when I got the first '09 on this forum. I asked the same question and then I went out and cut it off with a utility knife. If you ask me, it looks ridiculous. I don't notice any difference in braking or any type of vibes. Looks a lot better off too. I think the new Yami WR has one too. Looking at the bike from the backside of the rotor is one of my favorite views of it, and that rubber thingy was messing up my drooling capabilities.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

ems is definitely correct and this has been discussed around three months ago when I got the first '09 on this forum. I asked the same question and then I went out and cut it off with a utility knife. If you ask me, it looks ridiculous. I don't notice any difference in braking or any type of vibes. Looks a lot better off too. I think the new Yami WR has one too. Looking at the bike from the backside of the rotor is one of my favorite views of it, and that rubber thingy was messing up my drooling capabilities.
Yeah I think it looks ridiculous, as well. It may be the next victim of "weight reduction" joining the reflectors and clutch safety switch...

Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I too yanked off the fork reflectors. Little things like removing this damper and the dumb reflectors really cleans up the frontend of the bike and puts more attention on the awesome new headlight. the rubber damper is surprisingly heavy as well and when rolling wouldbe even heavier. it's now in the box of other items kawi thought we needed.