Well, since all the cool kids are doing it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Well, since all the cool kids are doing it...

I got me another bike too! Not a new, new one, but new to me.

It's a 2000 XR650R that has been plated for road use. I bought it from a guy on a local Texas MC forum that I've known awhile, so I'm fairly familiar with the use and maintenance of the bike. It came pretty much tricked out already and setup for a guy my weight.

Scotts steering damper, pro taper bars, Scotts upper, front and rear disk guards, radiator guards, case savers, uncorked and rejetted. Street legal with headlight and rear brake switch from Baja racing. 4.6 GAL tank + stock tank. Resprung with racetech for a 190 pound rider.

The things a Beast! Wheelies are not a problem with this bike.

Yes, I'm keeping the KLX too. I love it for what it is, but I wanted something that would have a bit more power for the wide open dirt road type riding around here. The KLX is a great tech. trail and woods bike, but I can't ride that type of stuff everyday. (Too far away.)

Name:  xr1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  110.3 KB

Name:  xr_office.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  138.6 KB

Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Default RE: Well, since all the cool kids are doing it...

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

I got me another bike too! Not a new, new one, but new to me.

It's a 2000 XR650R that has been plated for road use. I bought it from a guy on a local Texas MC forum that I've known awhile, so I'm fairly familiar with the use and maintenance of the bike. It came pretty much tricked out already and setup for a guy my weight.

Scotts steering damper, pro taper bars, Scotts upper, front and rear disk guards, radiator guards, case savers, uncorked and rejetted. Street legal with headlight and rear brake switch from Baja racing. 4.6 GAL tank + stock tank. Resprung with racetech for a 190 pound rider.

The things a Beast! Wheelies are not a problem with this bike.

Yes, I'm keeping the KLX too. I love it for what it is, but I wanted something that would have a bit more power for the wide open dirt road type riding around here. The KLX is a great tech. trail and woods bike, but I can't ride that type of stuff everyday. (Too far away.)

Man, I have been looking at a couple of BRP'S lately. There is actually a brand new 2004 XRR but no plate for less thatn 4k OTD.

Enjoy yur bike

Here's a couple of links for ya

http://www.xr650r.us/

http://tardypizza.com/xr650r/index.html

Francis

Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok hold the horses, or the show or something.........IS THAT A CLOWN HORN? That's not really legal is it? I mean WTH (what the heck)

Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great looking bike, congrats! That bike will really haul in the wide open stuff I've seen in some of your photos. Excellent choice! I bet it will even out run wild boars!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Ok hold the horses, or the show or something.........IS THAT A CLOWN HORN? That's not really legal is it? I mean WTH (what the heck)
Crazy, huh!? Yes, I passed state inspection with it! [:-] I looked at the Texas regs and rules before I took it down for inspection, and much to my suprise too, It's legal. I plan on getting rid of it and going with a bicycle horn that I've found that is 9V powered and has a remote button that I can put on the handle bars.

I plan on replacing the stator with a 200W unit so that I can power some more electrical items. Right now, I just don't want to add any more current draw to the system.

edited:typos

Old 03-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

There's a huge aftermarket for that bike. You'll be able to find any farkle your heart desires.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the links, Jellyfish. One of the main reasons I got this bike is that they PO had already done the hard part of getting it tagged.

When I was at the DMV, the lady kept asking me, " are you sure this is a motorcyle and not a quad or three wheeler?". I told her, "No Ma'am, it's just a regular motorcycle." She hmmm'd a bit and looked in some books and then did the magic keystroke that made it street legal. Shouldn't have that problem in the future now.

My advice is try to find one that someone has already plated. Much easier IMO.

Edited: spelling

Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Great looking bike, congrats! That bike will really haul in the wide open stuff I've seen in some of your photos. Excellent choice! I bet it will even out run wild boars!
[sm=exactly.gif] And thanks Brian.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Bill you mad man... Thats a beast!! and PERFECT for the terrain your riding... Good luck man, we expect to see pics!!!! (and an occasional wild boar)

Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL! Thanks Dave! I'll try not to disappoint. [:@]

Quick Reply: Well, since all the cool kids are doing it...