Well guys, MY BIKE IS DONE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Well guys, MY BIKE IS DONE!!!!!!

??????????????????

I haven't heard that from my engine. Maybe a few others can chime-in though. It doesn't sound right to me. I know the bike is noisier with valves gaps set more toward the high side, but this sounds different...kinda like one thing being a bit loose...KACR maybe?

ORIGINAL: deej

That doesn't sound good, I think you got a bum exhaust cam and its not staying in the off position. DANG!!

Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea i was gonna try to play with the timing chain tensioner... The exhaust cam is new 700 miles ago... i dont know... it runs fine..... i think ill just run it, if it breaks ill take it back... i thaught about taking off the valve cover off and checking the ACR.....

Old 12-11-2006, 03:55 AM

the exhaust isn't leaking where header pipe bolts to engine is it? just a thought

Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

no its not leaking....

Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

That doesn't sound good, I think you got a bum exhaust cam and its not staying in the off position. DANG!!
hey deej is that what your bike sounded like when ur ACR was bad, my bike was making all kinds of noises when i had mine replaced so im not really sure what exactly that sound was...

Brian do you think that my timing chain could have streched out in this little of mileage? it now has 4800... going off of that thumpertalk link... i have seen that topic over there...

Just posted a thread at thumpertalk to see what those guys have to say...

Old 12-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I doubt the chain has stretched much. If it is timing chain related, I might suspect the tensioner - maybe there's a little binding or something in there that doesn't allow it to tension the chain as much as it should be.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like that could be a good possibility, when i get time next ill try to take out some slack manually.. see if it helps...

Old 12-11-2006, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric, be careful backing out the tensioner partially and then retightening. There is a warning in big bold font in the manual that warns against that.

When I got my bike back from the shop I was hearing a little bit of chatter in the top end. I decided to check my valve clearance and my exhaust valves were too tight. They were both about .065 mm, spec is .15-.24. Good thing I checked it would've done damage. It looks like when they put my engine back together they put in the original shims and never checked the clearance. I called the dealer and the service guy said to bring it in. Last week I was getting ready to bring the bike up and called again to make sure they had time to do it that day and he said, oh we have to get approval from Kawi warranty for this. I ended up adjusting the valves myself this weekend and feel better knowing that they are within specs.

I still have a little noise, but I think it's a combination of timing chain slack and my paranoia.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i know i have alot of that paranoia stuff, but its for sure making a noise... i wish i new more about bikes.....

Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'm with sullydirt on this and don't recommend loosening the tensioner body. Some say to loosen that until you hear a click then tighten it back up as that would ratchet the tensioner one notch. What I would do instead is to remove the center bolt that holds the spring in place up against the tensioner. Then with a blunt screwdriver or something, slide it up in there and slowly apply pressure until you hear one click. Seems like you might be able to hear it better that way and actually feel the click.

I would ONLY do this if you highly suspect the tensioner. While I think it could be a possibility, I've never heard this timing chain slap that they spoke about on TT, so I'm still unsure. I'd hold off on doing that until someone over there responds back. Seems like a lot of folks over there have heard the timing chain slap and should be able to advise you on it.

IF you did do the above and bump your adjuster up one notch and you still heard the tick, I would immediately conclude that it was not the timing chaing and remove the tensioner, reset it, then reinstall it body first, then spring and center bolt so that it properly tensions the chain once again.

Quick Reply: Well guys, MY BIKE IS DONE!!!!!!