Weight savings with Muzzy or other exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Weight savings with Muzzy or other exhaust ?

Someone with a 2 Bros carbon has to weigh thier system now, they have been called out.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Mekon

I doubt any pipe would save over 4lbs over stock.
I don't want to start an argument, nor do i have any proof, but I am going to disagree with that statement.
I can onlyspeak for andcompare the stocker with my 2 bros, but, my canister is prolly half the size of the stocker, made of all aluminum with a magnesium tip, and doesn't have anything "extra".Pretty much just packing surrounded inbetween 2 tubes with a screen arrestor at the end.
Stock canister is prolly twice the length, has baffles, supposibly has a CAT, isn't all aluminum, has the turbine type spark arrestor (which I'm guessin is a little heavier than a sreen),etc. Just my opinoin.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Mekon

My bike is 19lbs lighter than stock, yet still retains blinkers, lights, horn.

To get this I have made some radical changes, like removing instruments and replacing with a Vapor trail tech, removing the key barrel, Clarke tank etc etc. the list is quite extensive.

I have a full Staintune exhaust which saves 3.5lbs over stock. I doubt any pipe would save over 4lbs over stock.
Do you know how much the vapor and the clarke tank saved each? Obviously more fuel is going to be heavier, but dry weight, I never thought of the tank saving much weight. 1 pound maby? at the most. The oem tank isn't that heavy

Old 01-03-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I just went and weighed the stock exhaust and it's 8.2 pounds. I still have the box for the Two Bros and I'll look at it tomorrow and see if it has a weight on the box. I thought the stock exhaust would weigh more so I would like to see just what the Two Bros weighs. If I had to guess, I would say the Two Bos would come in at around 5 pounds if not less.

And yes, the Two Bros is for sure the nicest looking pipe out there. And doesn't stick out way past the fender like some of the others do. And it does bark very nicely[8D]

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member

[/quote]
Do you know how much the vapor and the clarke tank saved each? Obviously more fuel is going to be heavier, but dry weight, I never thought of the tank saving much weight. 1 pound maby? at the most. The oem tank isn't that heavy
[/quote]

Here is some more information on my weight saving. The bike started life as an 05 KLX250, now has a 300 barrel and Dynojet + the usual other mods and my weight saving.
The Clarke tank is only 1.3lbs lighter, but was needed in my quest to eliminate keys.

Items removed from KLX

Headlight/instruments/brackets/blinkers/speedo cable 7.0lb
Rear Rack/blinkers/fender extension 3.5lb
Pillion pegs/de ice circuit/helmet holder/chainguard /rubber cover/sidestand switch/radiator fan 4.2lb
Original exhaust system 10.5lb
Ignition Barrel 1.3lb
Fuel tank 5.0lb
Original sprocket 42T 1.5lb
Mirrors 1.1lb

Total 34.1lb

Replacements

Headlight 1.3lb
Sprocket 0.8lb
Staintune full system 6.8lb
Clarke tank 3.7lb
Vapour trail tech speedo 0.6lb
Blinkers 0.4lb

Total 13.6lb

Meaning a saving of 20.5lb if I don’t run with mirrors.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warsanrotts

I just went and weighed the stock exhaust and it's 8.2 pounds. I still have the box for the Two Bros and I'll look at it tomorrow and see if it has a weight on the box. I thought the stock exhaust would weigh more so I would like to see just what the Two Bros weighs. If I had to guess, I would say the Two Bos would come in at around 5 pounds if not less.

And yes, the Two Bros is for sure the nicest looking pipe out there. And doesn't stick out way past the fender like some of the others do. And it does bark very nicely[8D]
Warren, You will note that I have said 10.5lbs for the exhaust. That is the weight of the whole system including header. You are correct, the stock silencer weighs about 8.2lb. I doubt there aremany aftermarket cans that weigh less than 4lbs - if they do they will not last long.

John

Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Whew, I come on here for a weight savings question and end up changing my mind about the exhaust ! I like the way the 2 Bros doesn't stick out like the other ones. They just look funny to me and we all know about 'mass centralization'. Though I know the difference wouldn't be noticable to us everyday riders....

Is it much louder ? I'm not looking for too much noise....

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rkutzner

Whew, I come on here for a weight savings question and end up changing my mind about the exhaust ! I like the way the 2 Bros doesn't stick out like the other ones. They just look funny to me and we all know about 'mass centralization'. Though I know the difference wouldn't be noticable to us everyday riders....

Is it much louder ? I'm not looking for too much noise....
The Two bros without any tip is loud. But so is every aftermarket exhaust. It has really nice deep sound but it is loud. I bought the P4 and the P3 tips. I didn't like the sound of the P4 but the P3 is really nice. It fits right in with the spark arrestor. Here is a pic with the P3 tip in. And if you search through the past posts, there is a sound clip of the Two Bros. Also the easiest to install from what I hear. Took me about 15 minutes and that's with me cleaning everything under the sheild!

Name:  p3tip.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  117.7 KB

Old 01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Was it just the sound you didn't like or the loudness level? Is the P4 quieter? I want the quietest one.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

p3 is the quietest one. i have the p4 on mine, and it only quiets it a little, which was exactly what i was looking for...
without any tip the two bros sounds no less than awesome, but i didn't want to annoy the neighbors or the DEP officers too much.

Quick Reply: Weight savings with Muzzy or other exhaust ?