weight savings exhaust kick start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default weight savings exhaust kick start

Thinking of lightening my 2009 KLX250. I have a full Muzzy exhaust with header. How much weight will I save putting this on? Also how much weight do I lose by switching from the electric starter to a kick start?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

take off the electric start and weigh it, the placement of the weight i don't will be that much difference in the ride quality and handling since its down low in the chassis

Old 06-16-2019, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Weird I can find any info on weight savings on exhaust swap?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have the parts why not weigh them? If you don't want to take off the aftermarket exhaust see if you can find the shipping weight, knock off a pound or two for cardboard, then subtract it from the stock unit weight. FMF Q4 silencer apparently 5.6 lb, with a cat convertor and a chambered muffler, the stock is probably significantly heavier. The header pipes are probably relatively similar, maybe a pound or so difference. Found a RacerX article where Yoshimura claims their slip on muffler is a 3 pound weight savings over stock. Not too much for a $599 silencer setup. Don't know if many others do better.

You could look at going one size smaller on the tires and cut a few pounds with little effort. Go to a 4.10 or a 110mm wide tire, down around 4" wide instead of near 5". Lose some weight and actually gain some performance cutting rotating mass and drag.

With the electric start, the real question is if it is worth having to fiddle with the electrical wiring harness to eliminate the battery and electric start. It wouldn't make sense to remove the starter and leave the heavy battery. More and more off road bikes are going electric start because the benefit is better than the loss in weight. Stalled in rough terrain, hit the button. Stall at the main street traffic light, hit the button. I have seen races lost because of difficulty in starting after stalling. Not that we are racing, but just advantageous to have it in general. So really, is it worth the $400 kick start tab to deal with the headaches of going exclusively kick start?

It would be much simpler to sell the KLX and get a KTM when it comes to cutting weight. The KLX was designed as a durable off road play bike (original 94 KLX250R) morphed into a durable dual sport, no high tech to save weight, keeping price in budge off road range.. KTM was designed as a race bike, totally competitive for off road, morphed into a light weight dual sport with little sacrifice to reduce price, sacrifices that add weight.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If you have the parts why not weigh them? If you don't want to take off the aftermarket exhaust see if you can find the shipping weight, knock off a pound or two for cardboard, then subtract it from the stock unit weight. FMF Q4 silencer apparently 5.6 lb, with a cat convertor and a chambered muffler, the stock is probably significantly heavier. The header pipes are probably relatively similar, maybe a pound or so difference. Found a RacerX article where Yoshimura claims their slip on muffler is a 3 pound weight savings over stock. Not too much for a $599 silencer setup. Don't know if many others do better.

You could look at going one size smaller on the tires and cut a few pounds with little effort. Go to a 4.10 or a 110mm wide tire, down around 4" wide instead of near 5". Lose some weight and actually gain some performance cutting rotating mass and drag.

With the electric start, the real question is if it is worth having to fiddle with the electrical wiring harness to eliminate the battery and electric start. It wouldn't make sense to remove the starter and leave the heavy battery. More and more off road bikes are going electric start because the benefit is better than the loss in weight. Stalled in rough terrain, hit the button. Stall at the main street traffic light, hit the button. I have seen races lost because of difficulty in starting after stalling. Not that we are racing, but just advantageous to have it in general. So really, is it worth the $400 kick start tab to deal with the headaches of going exclusively kick start?

It would be much simpler to sell the KLX and get a KTM when it comes to cutting weight. The KLX was designed as a durable off road play bike (original 94 KLX250R) morphed into a durable dual sport, no high tech to save weight, keeping price in budge off road range.. KTM was designed as a race bike, totally competitive for off road, morphed into a light weight dual sport with little sacrifice to reduce price, sacrifices that add weight.
gotcha. i miss my 250 lbs xt250. 50 lbs makes a huge difference.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

If you search around here, you'll find some riders who went to great efforts to shave a few ounces.
In the end, I think most of them ditched the KLX for a KTM, Beta, or similar.
For me, the greatest weight savings for the KLX would be me losing pounds! (put down that doughnut!)

Old 06-17-2019, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
If you search around here, you'll find some riders who went to great efforts to shave a few ounces.
In the end, I think most of them ditched the KLX for a KTM, Beta, or similar.
For me, the greatest weight savings for the KLX would be me losing pounds! (put down that doughnut!)

I'm pretty sure this is the real answer as well... (I could stand to lose at least 30 lbs).. LOL I wouldn't want to get rid of the electric start, although I might one day spring for a lighter battery.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you're riding your KLX at the attempted level of performance where a few pounds "might" be noticeable, you may be on the wrong bike. What IDRIDR said probably applies in most cases. Having raced and ridden bikes for decades that had no electric start, I wouldn't trade my e-start for nothin'. And now days it's even important enough for racers to use them on many pure race bikes.

Again, if you're trying to push a KLX hard enough to where you think a few pounds might help, I think you'll find as many have that it may be a waste of time and money. I love my KLX, but it's a competent off road bike for adventure, not for racing where weight is more critical. Spend the time and money on setting up the suspension for your weight and riding needs, and you'll be way ahead.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally got around to weighing the stock exhaust and header laying on my garage floor it comes in at a whooping 10lbs. So maybe shave off a pound or two with an aftermarket.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

And guess what Kawasaki put on their new 2020 KLX300R? Electric start. That will definitely help sales along with the low "play bike" price. It is a play off roader not a toned down racer. That's why I said if you wanted to really make noticeable weight differences you should go to a lighter hotter performer. They're built to that point, but you will pay more for it.

I'd say do your suspension, maybe engine hop up with a big bore and make it easier to handle and stronger performing in spite of the weight.

Quick Reply: weight savings exhaust kick start