Weekend pics from Greenridge Stae Forest

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Weekend pics from Greenridge State Forest

A good time was had by all. Me and my son went out on a great riding day. He was on his CRF150F and I rode the KLX250. Just an overview, the KLX performed brilliantly. I've taken my KDX here a bunch of times but this was only my second time riding the KLX on these ORV trails. Initially I must say to all of those folks that complain about the KLX suspension, try riding on a KDX suspension and then get back to me. Greenridge is an extremely rocky terrrain most of the way and the KLX suspension is an absolute dream compared to a KDX suspension. The ORV trail consists of an 18 mile loop. Here are a few pics.

Greenridge State Forest is in Western Maryland. The first pic is an interesting feat of engineering where the pinnacle of the mountain was apparently blasted out to make room for a highway.

Name:  sideling.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  sign.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  212.2 KB

Name:  overlook1-1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  shackklx.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  249.6 KB

Name:  shack.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  221.1 KB

Name:  random.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  236.6 KB

Name:  tcrf150.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  overlook2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  parking.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  218.8 KB

Name:  leaving.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  182.8 KB

Last edited by KDXmike; 09-23-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good times, Mike! Nice stickers.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like you could have some fun around there with a canoe.
Thanks for the report.
Does the young fella' wana swap his red blood for some european blue blood? (saw the TM sticker.)

Old 09-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

dude...... whats with the chain holding the back tires.... use ratchet straps.... lol...... good pics.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Looks like you could have some fun around there with a canoe.
Thanks for the report.
Does the young fella' wana swap his red blood for some european blue blood? (saw the TM sticker.)
Yeah the TM bikes are awsome looking bikes. Last season at Greenridge we ran into a guy test riding a 'street legal' two stroke 250. He gave us some stickers. I seriously considered getting that bike but apparently they are only available from a distributor in georgia and it would be tough to find a shop that can work on those bikes. Here's a link to the bike. Way cool...

Mike

http://www.tmracing.it/eng/modello.p...o=63&anno=2008

Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

hell yeah mike,, thanks for sharing

Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Excellent Mike, thanks for sharing the day you guys shared together.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
Yeah the TM bikes are awsome looking bikes. Last season at Greenridge we ran into a guy test riding a 'street legal' two stroke 250. He gave us some stickers. I seriously considered getting that bike but apparently they are only available from a distributor in georgia and it would be tough to find a shop that can work on those bikes. Here's a link to the bike. Way cool...

Mike

http://www.tmracing.it/eng/modello.p...o=63&anno=2008
If The money was no option I'd definitely be layin' some liquorice in the local hills on one of these babies.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Parking off Mertens Rd is a little less crowded, though I dunno if I'd take a 2WD pickemup truck back there if it rained recently.

That one ditch on 15 Mile Creek Rd bounced the rear of my son's CRF150F out of the rail on the trailer. Learned the hard way to strap the back wheel down. lol

Dude, I came SOOO close to being out there this weekend. Wish I'd known you were going - would have been the tie-breaker. Instead I spent the weekend laying tile and rebuilding my 8-year-old's 2000 XR80R.

I bought a 3-rail trailer yesterday (so I don't have to borrow my neighbor's). Should have it in the next couple of weeks. Got any plans for the 2nd weekend in October?

How'd your KLX do at that elevation? I've rejetted mine (BB Mikuni - went from a #140 to a #142.5 main and bumped the jet needle down to the middle notch - leaner, that is). Not sure how it'll do next time around. It didn't like steady throttle at 6K RPMs last time.

Side note: any thoughts on mods for the 150? I'm considering an aftermarket full exhaust, power-up kit, and twin-air filter for my son's.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mc1457
Parking off Mertens Rd is a little less crowded, though I dunno if I'd take a 2WD pickemup truck back there if it rained recently.

That one ditch on 15 Mile Creek Rd bounced the rear of my son's CRF150F out of the rail on the trailer. Learned the hard way to strap the back wheel down. lol

Dude, I came SOOO close to being out there this weekend. Wish I'd known you were going - would have been the tie-breaker. Instead I spent the weekend laying tile and rebuilding my 8-year-old's 2000 XR80R.

I bought a 3-rail trailer yesterday (so I don't have to borrow my neighbor's). Should have it in the next couple of weeks. Got any plans for the 2nd weekend in October?

How'd your KLX do at that elevation? I've rejetted mine (BB Mikuni - went from a #140 to a #142.5 main and bumped the jet needle down to the middle notch - leaner, that is). Not sure how it'll do next time around. It didn't like steady throttle at 6K RPMs last time.

Side note: any thoughts on mods for the 150? I'm considering an aftermarket full exhaust, power-up kit, and twin-air filter for my son's.
Yeah I've never parked off of Mertens. They should just let everybody park at the bottom of the mountain and ride up there. That trek up the mountain trashed my allignment last year.

I was really happy with the KLX's performance. Mines bone stock except for a Twin Air filter. I got used to the weight of the bike this time out and was able to try some more ambitious stuff like the rock climb. Last time I skipped the rock climb altogether and just took the short cut up Mertens. But doing that means you skip hauling a** up that mountain climb which is so much fun

As for the CRF150, There are some good mods available for it. I was toying with the idea of a Big Gun and a re-jet for it but told my so I'd get him a new bike for next season if he gets good grades in school. He's 14 and about ready for one. The only mod I have done to the CRF is a Twin Air filter. Check out www.crfsonly.com the have alot of good information on alot of mods: free, cheap, and expensive.

If you're heading up there the second week in October I'd love to load up the bikes and meet you guys out there.

Mike

Quick Reply: Weekend pics from Greenridge Stae Forest