Weapon experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Weapon experts

Well I know bikes but hand guns are alittle like polish, I can understand it but can't speak fluently.
I've decided to buy a hand gun for personal protection and property protection. I'm going to a ccw class so I can carry it. but I'm some what new to this. I shot air rifles competitively as a youth, and shot in a target hand gun league years ago( borrowed a friends revolver). I've never owned a hand gun but due to a friend thats in law enforcement I'm somewhat familiar with the laws and what is expected. My question is I've been out looking for a gun and found a Sig sauer p250 9mm I'm wondering from you gun experts is this weapon any good? It seems to be a well made fire arm but it all polish to me I know enough to talk about it but not enough to really know. I'm in a area that has alot of ranges with rentals so I'm shooting weapons and holding them but is there things I'm missing?
Any help would be great.

Last edited by kgwld1; 02-22-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Walther. James Bond swears by them. LOL.
Seriously though. Walther PPK is an excellent fire arm.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Bond, James Bond!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Walther PPS 9mm looks good.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

9mm is considered to be a smaller personal defense caliber but offers less recoil and usually holds a few more rounds than it's big brothers (ex. .45). Sig is a good brand and if you don't end up liking what you got you can always trade it in.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Sig p239 9mm. It would by my fav for a ccw of what I own(ed). But I bought it 8 yrs ago. Not sure if its still in production.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Just checked, still made. Med/sm size. Little to snag on.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Walther. James Bond swears by them. LOL.
Seriously though. Walther PPK is an excellent fire arm.
Woz, you speak the truth. As a wee lad I had a great appreciation for Mr. Bond, and as a consequence always wanted a PPk. I have two now, the first a pre WWII civilian 7.65mm (32ACP) and a recent US manufactured (under license from Walther) stainless 9mm Kurz (380ACP). Both are excellent, well made pieces, but I'm not sure I'd want either for self defense, except in tight quarters. Simply put, the short barrels mean limited accuracy at anything but reach out and touch some one distances.

For personal protection almost any Sig is a better choice, although I personally prefer the older style Browning 1935, aka Highpower, for a personal pistol. Or even a good old fashioned Colt M1911 in 45ACP, not so many rounds but a hit is a put down for sure.

For home defense nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a pump action 12GA. Just the sound of the slide going back says "look elsewhere" to whoever hears it.

KG, if you want a piece to carry the PPK will work fine, although there are more modern alternatives, like a Kel-Tec 380. Fits in the palm of your hand, lightweight, in 380ACP. For a bigger piece the Sig in 9mm is tough to beat. Shoot as many as you can, then make a choice. Good luck.

X

Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

My buddy says the same thing about the shot gun Rack that hing and watch em run.I have a 16 ga. Ithaca shot gun but the barrel is so long I don't think i could swing it around indoors let alone tuck it under my shirt.lol

The nice thing about the Sig p 250 is that its a modular where you can buy the kit and switch from .357 to .40 to .45 if you want.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

It must suck to haveto worry about someone breaking in, or being murdered enough to haveto go and buy hand guns.
I don't even know if people can get permits around here to even own a hand gun anymore, let alone be able to carry one on them. Even in the city parts, there's no real threat for the need to have a gun in your home for protection.

Quick Reply: Weapon experts