The wave, nod, finger, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I get the wave 90% of the time no matter what bike they ride. With over 2K of street ridin since getting my KLX I have never run across another dual sport bike. There just isn't any around here which is probably the reason I get stared at alot. " Hey, look that guys ridin a dirt bike on the street" is probably what they say. Today on my way home from work an SUV pulled up alongside me at a light and hangin out the back window was two boys (about 6 or 7 years old) givin me thumbs up with big grins on their faces, now that beats a wave any day!!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I live in an urban area so I am always getting the "What the hell is that nut riding a dirt bike on the street for?" look, HAHA, that makes me laugh the most. I guess I will keep trying with the Harley guys but its getting tougher.... I ride the River Road Rt32 PA along the Delaware pretty often with a dude who rides a Triumph 955 Sprint RS and he has noticed the same reactions. He is even to the point of flipping off HD guys if the don't wave back, LOL, and I'm the guy from "Joysey" the land of hate.... Oh well, I am glad to see so much reaction to this, I was wondering if it was an isolated incident. Keep up the stories!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never seen another dual-sport on the road around here. I would definitely wave if I saw one. I get all kinds of looks riding around town on this bright green bike. I had to laugh the other day when I popped out onto a road from a trail. There was a couple in a truck just sitting there at the end of this dead end road (not sure what they were doing!) and I just popped out right beside them and cruised on down the road. I think they're jaws were on the floor as I'm sure they weren't expecting me to come out of nowhere.

Usually I have to drive by a gauntlet of school kids waiting for the bus in the morning. They ALL wave! I love to wave and honk my horn.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

So I started going through the links that Deej posted (btw thx for **** out when I cursed, i totally forgot) and next thing I know im reading for an hour!
Here is a great story by aszrael1266's that really brought it home: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=12763

and here is a funny video (turn down the volume b/c the lyrics might offend some): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloT-TahbiQ

Enjoy, now im going to actually do some riding, and I might even wave to a HD...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

If its a guy on a Harley or some other big, loud bike, I throw the one-finger (#1!!) or the open hand (wasssup). Guys on crotch bikes get the two-finger (peace!!) or the number-1.

I usually don't get waved at solo but if I'm with pops they'll deuce us up. Guys on crotch bikes always pop wheelies for us, the sport bike guys ARE the coolest.

I never throught of the rock-on (thumb and pinky) I'ma have to start tossin' that one.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I am happy to wave at anyone. Almost all wave back too. I never really thought about not waving or waiting to see who waves first. Probably makes me niave more than anything else. I guess, I'm that dorky guy that waves that wannbe cool low-slung peace sign or the Hawaii Hang-Loose at anyone on two wheels

And pround of it by-the-way

I have thought about those that don't wave back. At first I thought, jeez, what an a-hole... Thinking I dont fit thier definition of a "biker".

But after awhile, I just figured that they are off in Lala Land. Because, I have been "busy" looking though an interestion or keeping "on defense" with my eye on the Soccer Mom in the SUV. And at the last minute saw that I missed a wave... then thought, wow that guy probably thinks I'm a snob or ?.

Then again, maybe he chalks me up to a motorcyclist that is just off in the mental "Lala Land" - I hope so anyway.

I would like to disagree about the Harley guys. But if they are snarling and flip ya the bird, I'm gonna have to side with the a-hole call.

I know a few and they are the greatest people. Actually Motorcycle and Music people are groups made of about 99% cool easy going guys (and gals - but mostly guys).

Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Back on the Wave...

Best one I saw yet... I had a loud custom chopper guy with the salad bowl helmet with the mini spike. His beard and pony tail were each probably 12" long flapping in the wind. His gear was ripped jeans and tank top with completely tattoo'd arms. He looked 55 or older. He is coming the opposite way on the road. I threw the wave and his wave was to bring is hand up to about eye level and flex his bicep and bob his head. And dammit, he pulled it off and looked cool doing it.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member

In the city, there is no waving.
Far too busy............... and far too cool .................
Best you can get is flicking the bird when someone cuts you off or a half nod if you let someone in your lane.
But get out of town and things start to change.
First it's the bikers.
Then, as you get further out cars, trucks etc start to wave.
By the time you hit the outback, everyone is waving at everyone.
It makes sense when you may drive for 3 hours and see nobody......
By the time you see another vehicle, you're just glad to see another human.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member

well, when you have a small truck on 2 wheels, you need all the fingers u can to hold that fat boy up,
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Oregon-ATC3K-...3%3A1|294%3A50

Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

99% of Harley riders are arrogant, obnoxious, self - important dicks. Doesn't matter where in the world they are. It's just a bike brand boys! Like, saying HD on your tank makes you some sort of demi-god??!! Get over yourselves!

Quick Reply: The wave, nod, finger, etc...