The wave, nod, finger, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default The wave, nod, finger, etc...

You all know what I am talking about, Your riding down the rode and here comes a bike going the opposite way towards you. I usually throw hang loose (pinky and thumb extended with middle three fingers closed) or just a peace sign, at the very least I give a nod. If its another dualsport or supermoto guy we usually stop and shoot the **** for a minute, most sport bikers riders recognize how cool dual-sports are and throw back a wave, BMW guys almost always do the same, non-Harley cruisers are cool, GoldWing riders are lost in another world, but why are 90% of all Harley guys ******!?! Its riding man, its all cool, I even wave to scooters (you gotta have ***** riding something that small next to a big rig)! I have stopped waving to the HD guys and it is getting to the point where I am disgusted to see a dentist who bought a Harley and now thinks his poop doesn't stink. Anyway, sorry about having to vent there! So what's your experiences? Whats your wave?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I usually just give a wave, and try not to fall off doing so. I don't wave at harleys, which I see a ton of on rt 6 in PA. Usually because I'm passing them.
In my previous riding on sport bikes in the 80's Harley's NEVER waved at jap bikes, now it seems that every yuppie on a Harley waves at me.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I felt that way when I first got the bike, but you know what? I have found that the percentage of riders on bigger bike, Harley riders included are waving back now. I think there are a few other threads that have touched on this subject in the last 3 years. I'll see what I can dig up. But don't give up, and don't profile Harley guys, 99% of them are good people, and 30% are noob riders that may be scared to take a hand off the bars. Seriously...there are a lot of noobs on Harley's too. We were all noobs once.

When I get nothing from a biker in return, I just figure hey, its' OK man, let it out, don't be afraid to wave. And I'm not naive to think that everyone on a bike including Harley riders will wave at me, or that they should. To each his own, don't feel bad. It happens to all of us.

There is a special feeling when another rider waves back, and that feeling is magnified when someone waves back on a bike that is not like yours, perhaps the unexpected wave is the best one. I get waves from choppers, big cruisers, crotch rockets, the DS bikes and even scooters. Oh sure once in a while I don't get the wave, but actually we all probably have been riding and waited for the other guy to wave first only to realize that he may be doing the same thing. I wonder how many guys have both been waiting for the other to wave first as to not be left hanging with out the wave only to both miss out on this connection. Well for me it means hello how are you nice to see you out, and stay safe all in that simple hand gesture. Cool article, thanks for sharing it with all of us, and who knows maybenext time your out there just remember maybe the guy coming up towards you just might be waiting for you to wave first, and so let's be the first one.

Here are some other threads that have touched on the subject.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ghlight=Waving

I even wave to guys on Sports Bikes...LOL bwahahahahahhahahahahahah just checking to see if you guys are awake. In all seriousness I wave to everyone, and once in a while a guy on a certain type of bike doesn't wave, but you know that's OK, chances are they are just passing through town anyway. Sometimes when I see a bike I'll wait to see if they wave first, but then I thought to my self, what if both riders were waiting for the other to wave first? LOL that won't work. Kind of like your car lights on high beam, you wait out the other guy and you both go blind One guy that I knew said you should always flip your light down to low beam, because at least one of you should see where you're going LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I get waves from everyone but I am in the south so everyone is a little nicer. I always give the low finger to to the ground, not sure why but that seems to be what I always get too.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I experience the same as dngr rngr. Big cruisers hardly ever wave. Once getting tired of no return wave i stopped waving to them. Very shortly after a large cruiser gave me a big wave and where i wasnt really paying attention i did not return it. Man, i felt like a real a$$! so now i wave to everything. There is this one guy who has yet to wave back tho. He always gets my biggest wave now. Its kind of a joke to me now i always have a good grin afterwards. Eventually i hope to break him down and get a wave back.

Last edited by Klxrelic; 05-12-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Terrible cell phone typer!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

haha Yeah here in WV I get waves from all,, HD's to Busa's Ill throw the Devil horns,, and some times the hang 10 or the peace sign.. around here, The harley riders all wave first mostly cuase it being WV that they have a 660 raptor or a KFX450 qaud sittin in there garage so they understand where my DS is comming from...

Old 05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Isn't everyone related in West Virginia?

I don't initiate a wave but I do wave back.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh Snap!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

The best wave I've ever got was from an 09 KLX rider! It felt good to see another KLX rider out there!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxrelic
Eventually i hope to break him down and get a wave back.

LOL I love it. Yes they will comply....eventually.

Quick Reply: The wave, nod, finger, etc...