Wasted effort?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Wasted effort?

Was wondering if anybody else here still used old fashioned hand signals on the road. Not instead of stock, but in addition to. Since most vehicles since the late forties/early fifties have "automatic" signals there is not much call for Ward Cleaver to hang his left arm out the window when making a turn

I have a pair of Fox gloves with white tops - bought to been seen - and use them to signal turns. Problem is, Brandy the cheerleader is too busy on her cell phone to see what I'm doing, and even if she did she wouldn't have a clue what it meant. Grandma, on the other hand, probably knows what the signals mean but can't see me through her Coke bottles. Screwed on both counts.

I'm lucky enough to be on a KLX, dash into the shoulder if need be, but I still wonder if the hand signals are worth it. I've always believed that visibility equals survivability and whatever I can do improves my chances. Anybody else have a thought?

Last edited by Xerxes; 10-17-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Suzy didn't like me using her name - go figure
Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, hand signals to the tin tops have there place.

This one being my favourite.

Name:  16_asia.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  1.8 KB

Sorry........

Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Well considering that these signals are taught on the written portion of the test to get your license in the US....

But I'm sure plenty of people have no idea why you're riding there raising your left hand like you've got a question for the teacher.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Yep, hand signals to the tin tops have there place.

This one being my favourite.

Sorry........
Neil, word to the wise, please don't make that gesture anyone driving an F-350 diesel dualie double throw me down don't eff with me. They shoot back.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
Neil, word to the wise, please don't make that gesture anyone driving an F-350 diesel dualie double throw me down don't eff with me. They shoot back.
I was only joking.
I wouldn't do it to anyone.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I religiously do the head check, and low arm turn signal when turning left. And if there is a car coming up behind me and it looks like I have to wait for oncoming traffic, I will pull to the right, and wait till everything is clear.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

lol pull to the right here and you will have a semi run over you

Old 10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride 95% in the dirt but the first thing I did after purchasing my '06 KLX 3 months ago was to remove those turn signals before a tree branch did it for me. And yes. . . I use hand signals, several blips of the brakelamp and defensive maneuvering to keep from being run over. These F'in dumbasses on their cellphones should ALL be taken out and shot! Better yet, put them on a motorcycle and let Darwin take care of it!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I turn the blinkers on and use hand signals also if someone is following me. Even if they don't know what you are doing with your hand, it helps make them notice you, then maybe they will notice the blinker. Funny story on this topic. I was turning right onto my street the other day. I raised my left hand signaling my turn, and a guy on a motorcycle heading the oposite direction waved at me. He mistook my right turn signal for a brother biker wave.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Magoo
Better yet, put them on a motorcycle and let Darwin take care of it!
Funny you should say that. I've always believed that the best way to teach defensive driving to youngsters would be to give all new drivers a m/c permit. Those that were around a year later would automatically qualify for a valid drivers license. We could raise a generation of good drivers within a very few years, and those people that couldn't cut it wouldn't be forcing the rest of us off the road.

Hey, laugh if you will, but Darwin was onto something.

Quick Reply: Wasted effort?