Valve Life? Are the KLX250S heads different than the KLX300R

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Valve Life? Are the KLX250S heads different than the KLX300R

Good luck with the MC endorsement. I just got mine about 3 weeks ago, for the second time in 25 years. I should have never let it go a few years back, but you live and learn.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

If I didn't misunderstand an earlier post on the subject....how can the valves NOT last at least the 7500 miles that are allowed before adjustment is recommended?
I don't know that this is absolute but would an indication of preamature valve wear be to always find them tight or getting tight quickly after adjustment?

Steve F

Old 04-12-2006, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chainslack

If I didn't misunderstand an earlier post on the subject....how can the valves NOT last at least the 7500 miles that are allowed before adjustment is recommended?
I don't know that this is absolute but would an indication of preamature valve wear be to always find them tight or getting tight quickly after adjustment?

Steve F
Well, that's a reasonable question. I'm going to err on the side of checking mine more often than that. While that number is on par with other street bikes these days, it's much longer than the 300 owners have experienced over the last 10 years. I'm hoping Kaw has made some change that reflects this confidence on their part but I doubt it. I put it more on the side of a mistake by the tech writers.

I think the rate at which they tighten down between adjustments is the key indicator that they are going south in a hurry.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:36 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd
I put it more on the side of a mistake by the tech writers.

I think the rate at which they tighten down between adjustments is the key indicator that they are going south in a hurry.
I don't like the sound of that I hope the damn idiots didn't mess up so bad that the tech writer got it wrong and the editor didn't catch the mistake either, thats really damned bad, and will mess up alot of peoples bikes. This should have been one of the things that had high priority on checking. I have found errors in the book though, like small grammatical ones, but thats it.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

While that number is on par with other street bikes these days, it's much longer than the 300 owners have experienced over the last 10 years. I'm hoping Kaw has made some change that reflects this confidence on their part but I doubt it. I put it more on the side of a mistake by the tech writers.
I wonder if the valve wear is dependent on how the bike is ridden at all? Sounds like, of the members of this forum, sdunne is probably the hardest on his machine. I have no idea if that has any bearing on valve wear, though. My gut feeling is that riding the engine hard is not that big of a factor, and wear probably depends more on proper tuning, and maintaining valve clearences.

What I have heard is that if the valve clearences are out of spec, they may not completely close at the time of chamber combustion. And this condition can lead to rapid deterioration of the valves themselves and their seats. By keeping the clearences in proper spec, you would thus maximize valve life. Perhaps the folks that report short valve lives have left (unknowingly) an out of spec valve clearence condition go untreated?

By the same token, conditions of pre-combustion might have a similar effect. Can this be caused by an improperly adjusted carborator (too rich, too lean)?

My parts have arrived for the carb jetting and airflow mods and, while I plan to do it, that is something that's been in the back of my mind. Is it possible that if the fuel, air, and exhaust ratios aren't done just right, we are shortening the life of certain engine parts - namely valves?

Old 04-12-2006, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I put it more on the side of a mistake by the tech writers.

I don't like the sound of that I hope the damn idiots didn't mess up so bad that the tech writer got it wrong and the editor didn't catch the mistake either, thats really damned bad, and will mess up alot of peoples bikes. This should have been one of the things that had high priority on checking. I have found errors in the book though, like small grammatical ones, but thats it.
I love this bike and I actually kinda like Kawasaki in general but you have to remember this company is VERY bottom line oriented. Look at the 19 year history of denial on the KLR650 balancer lever. A check mark missing from the 600 mile box in the manual is very possible.

The next time I'm at the dealer (Grapevine Kawasaki, whom I trust), I'm going to talk to the service manager about this topic in detail.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

While that number is on par with other street bikes these days, it's much longer than the 300 owners have experienced over the last 10 years. I'm hoping Kaw has made some change that reflects this confidence on their part but I doubt it. I put it more on the side of a mistake by the tech writers.
I wonder if the valve wear is dependent on how the bike is ridden at all? Sounds like, of the members of this forum, sdunne is probably the hardest on his machine. I have no idea if that has any bearing on valve wear, though. My gut feeling is that riding the engine hard is not that big of a factor, and wear probably depends more on proper tuning, and maintaining valve clearences.

What I have heard is that if the valve clearences are out of spec, they may not completely close at the time of chamber combustion. And this condition can lead to rapid deterioration of the valves themselves and their seats. By keeping the clearences in proper spec, you would thus maximize valve life. Perhaps the folks that report short valve lives have left (unknowingly) an out of spec valve clearence condition go untreated?

By the same token, conditions of pre-combustion might have a similar effect. Can this be caused by an improperly adjusted carborator (too rich, too lean)?

My parts have arrived for the carb jetting and airflow mods and, while I plan to do it, that is something that's been in the back of my mind. Is it possible that if the fuel, air, and exhaust ratios aren't done just right, we are shortening the life of certain engine parts - namely valves?
Carburation will not effect pre-detonation within the ranges you're likely to hit with minor re-jets. That's almost entirely a function of compression ratio and octane.

What bad carburation will do to valves is this: too lean (i.e. the factory settings, IMHO) will cause the engine to run hot. That's bad all the way around and will shorten valve life.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 AM

Well, that's a reasonable question. I'm going to err on the side of checking mine more often than that. While that number is on par with other street bikes these days,
7500 is very short to 14,000 RPM and make 150HP out of 1000cc. That similar to our bike pumping out close to 40HP. Even with the Muzzy, you're only at 25HP tops. 300cc kit gets you to around 30HP.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

Well, that's a reasonable question. I'm going to err on the side of checking mine more often than that. While that number is on par with other street bikes these days,
7500 is very short to 14,000 RPM and make 150HP out of 1000cc. That similar to our bike pumping out close to 40HP. Even with the Muzzy, you're only at 25HP tops. 300cc kit gets you to around 30HP.
Guess I was thinking about Ducatis ;-)

Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I would like to think we can have our high performance & longevity together.

I am not famliar with older kwaker 4 strokes but I think they would be like the earlier xr hondas in terms of last & last & abuse & abuse & NOT rebuild & rebuild.
I have a honda xr650r & yamie tt350 both are durable & much fun.
With the right valves & seats & good maintainance this new klx should go a good while before the thought of a rebuild.
Would I be a whiner if I wanted a kickstarter on it?

Steve F

Quick Reply: Valve Life? Are the KLX250S heads different than the KLX300R