Valve Life? Are the KLX250S heads different than the KLX300R

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Default RE: Valve Life? Are the KLX250S heads different than the KLX300R

thanks Todd!

I think I will switch to premium also. Good point. I'm hoping tha Kawi did make a revision to the heads that made the intake valves mor reliable. It might have been at the expense of performance at high RPM's. I also wonder if the cam profiles re different or teh igntion mapping is different. Thsi could also help resolve any predetonation issues.32

I know I hear a lot of popping on deacceleration which I usually associate with bikes that have advanced ignition or are too rich.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

All this valve talk is making me nervous… Just my luck, I skipped the extended warranty, been burned on them too many times. This might have been the one I actually made out on.

I don't know what it cost everyone else, but they wanted over $550 for five years of coverage. Too late now.

Fortunately, I always run premium in my toys...

Old 04-06-2006, 01:11 AM

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

thanks Todd!

I know I hear a lot of popping on deacceleration which I usually associate with bikes that have advanced ignition or are too rich.
I've never heard my bike pop one time on deacceleration? Did it start doing this after all the mods?? After I took my Air lid off and matched the air with the modded carb, it did pop on deacceleration

Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 AM

Hmmm, I just put a deposit for a new klx250s and will receive my bike within the next few days. I sure hope the valves don't need to be replaced after such a short period of time. Im begining to wonder if I should have bought a drz400 or even those bullet proof yamaha xt225, lol ... Even if we need to "redo" valves how much time would it invole and/or what would it cost for a bike shop to replace stock valves with superior valves ?

Regards,

Old 04-06-2006, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrphone

All this valve talk is making me nervous… Just my luck, I skipped the extended warranty, been burned on them too many times. This might have been the one I actually made out on.

I don't know what it cost everyone else, but they wanted over $550 for five years of coverage. Too late now.

Fortunately, I always run premium in my toys...
You can add the extended warranty any time during the first year.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: westcan

Hmmm, I just put a deposit for a new klx250s and will receive my bike within the next few days. I sure hope the valves don't need to be replaced after such a short period of time. Im begining to wonder if I should have bought a drz400 or even those bullet proof yamaha xt225, lol ... Even if we need to "redo" valves how much time would it invole and/or what would it cost for a bike shop to replace stock valves with superior valves ?

Regards,

Don't sweat it. I think we're all jumping at shadows a bit here. Until someone actually has their valves crater, we all need to relax. Keep the air filter clean, change the oil frequently, and check the valve clearance often. Meanwhile, ride the **** out of it!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

ORIGINAL: westcan

Regards,

Don't sweat it. I think we're all jumping at shadows a bit here. Until someone actually has their valves crater, we all need to relax. Keep the air filter clean, change the oil frequently, and check the valve clearance often. Meanwhile, ride the **** out of it!

This is my first real purchase for any type of bike. The only bike ive ridden in the last 15 years was a honda ct70 that I sold last week, lol. I really like the looks of the klx250s and think It will keep me happy for a long time to come. Got a call from the dealer today, told me my bike has come in and for me to pick it up tomorrow. I dont know much about bikes as of yet but once I get my hands on something it sort od becomes an obsession[sm=badbadbad.gif]. I guess only time will tell in regards to the valve issues.

Cheers

Old 04-06-2006, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

My dealer told me to use premium doesn't cost much extra

Old 04-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Westcan, you will not regret this purchase. This bike is my first bike in 10 years, and the first one I have ever bought new. Someone mentioned the warranty earlier. I added the 4 year warranty which makes a full 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. So Miles are not an issue with me. The extra 4 years cost me $440.00 It's too bad Kawasaki wasn't like some of the extended warranty companies that are giving a good percentage of the cost of the warranty back to the consumer if they don't use it. I guess they had to do something since people were not buying the extended warranties anymore. There's a case of the public dictating how big business operates. You gotta love it.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:09 AM

Ok, picked up my bike today, however I have yet to get my Motorcycle license . Rode around the parking lot for a minute or two but thats about it . Next week I am going to take the motorcycle training program and should have my license real soon afterward ! [8D]

Cheers

Quick Reply: Valve Life? Are the KLX250S heads different than the KLX300R