Valve Job Halftime Game - Which One Doesn't Belong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Valve Job Halftime Game - Which One Doesn't Belong?

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY
According to the shop manual and other posts, its not clear to me if the water pump and right side cover gaskets have to be replaced, or do they just get replaced if needed? Also, does the clutch cover need to be taken off, or just remove the clutch cable to release the pressure, and leavethe clutch coverattached to the right side cover and removeboth as a single unit? (I'm thinking that the clutch doesn't need to be removed in order to remove the right side cover.)
Mike, if ya have to take off the right side, its no big deal at all.

1. Remove water pump cover and impeller. Save the gasket. Five minutes max
2. Disconnect clutch cable at clutch cover and make sure lever is pointing toward the back of the bike, do not touch lever and shaft during the entire job.
3. Remove right side cover, footpeg can stay unless ya put on the kickstarter. Save the gasket.
4. Find lost zip tie.
5. Installation is reverse of removal. Unless you broke one of the two gaskets during removal, you can reuse them, put black rtv silicon on both sides and use a torque wrench during reassemble.
6. Have a beer. Total time 45 min max.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks FM,you make it sound so easy ... but I guess that means no kick-starter, oh well.

I'll tackle this tomorrow and let you know how I make out. As with most of these things, getting started is the hardest part. I guess that's why Nike's motto is "Just Do It!"

Old 04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

That sucks man.... good luck.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY
Thanks FM,you make it sound so easy ... but I guess that means no kick-starter, oh well.

I'll tackle this tomorrow and let you know how I make out. As with most of these things, getting started is the hardest part. I guess that's why Nike's motto is "Just Do It!"
I just re-read my post and I forgot a couple points. The rear brake lever needs to be removed and the oil filter....I think. Here's a pic right after I removed my right side, notice the springs hanging for the rear brake and such ..... including the bracket for the clutch cable. Be careful removing the main large gasket...... I saved mine....justbe careful itfairly tough.

Name:  DSC01013.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  103.4 KB

Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Great pic ... it answers some questions that I had (e.g. Does the water pump impeller need to be removed? Yes.)

I just checked with my local dealer, and he has all 3 gaskets in stock, so I'll have them if I need them.
Just for fun, I asked about the kick-starter option, and it was over $400 Cdn., so that's not gonna happen. (Does anyone carry jumper cables?)

Any recommendations for replacement coolant?