Valve Job Halftime Game - Which One Doesn't Belong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Valve Job Halftime Game - Which One Doesn't Belong?

I was checking my valves, and everything was going fine until Mr. Murphy decided it was time to play "Which One Doesn't Belong?"

The correct answer, of course,would be "The one on the left." Why? Because the other three didn't breakand drop down the cam chain hole when I went toremove them!" [:@]

So now I have to include "Remove and re-installthe right side cover for no good reason" to my valveadjusting procedures. [:@][:@][:@]

According to the shop manual and other posts, its not clear to me if the water pump and right side cover gaskets have to be replaced, or do they just get replaced if needed? Also, does the clutch cover need to be taken off, or just remove the clutch cable to release the pressure, and leavethe clutch coverattached to the right side cover and removeboth as a single unit? (I'm thinking that the clutch doesn't need to be removed in order to remove the right side cover.)

And the worst part of all this? My vales were all in spec, although one was at the tight end.

Man, what a bummer ... all this just to get a 1.25" piece oftie-wrap ... sheesh!!!

Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Valve Job Halftime Game - Which One Doesn't Belong?

Adjusting timing sux

off a tooth, AGAIN [>:]
Name:  IMG_0271.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  40.6 KB

Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

How'd that happen, y's guy? Seems odd that it would break in two places.

Are you doing your valves again, NS, or is that photo from the time before? You guys with multiple cylinders have it especially tough. [:@]

Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Old one, I sold the Yamaha [&o]

Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I had checked the clearance and adjusted the clearance slightly looser and was removing the tie-wraps. I sliced each wrap with a single-edge blade, and the last one broke the instant I sliced it. It was the lower one on the intake cam (far left in the photo). I didn't see anything fly off or hear anything, but you can be sure a scoured the garage looking for that little plastic sucker.

I recalled your post from last year about your cam chain ordeal, and though OMG! I can keep looking in the garage, but after checking a bunch of posts, it sounds like removing the right side cover isn't so bad. I hope I find the proken piece, then I'll be 100% sure there won't be a problem, but at least searching inside the engine will give me peace of mind, even if I don't find it, that it's not in there.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I haven't done it, but I don't think removing the cover is bad at all. But you might be able to fish it out with one of those reachy clawy pushy things if you can see it down there. It may be sitting on top of the gear and didn't actually drop down below.

I'm not 100% positive but I think you might need to replace the gasket if you remove the right side cover. While you're in there, and you have to buy a gasket anyway, you may as well order and install a kick starter. I think this may give you some insight as to how my mind works and how I rationalize all these little add-ons.

While you have the cover off, don't forget to clean the oil screen which is accessible there also.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I also looked down the cam chain slot from every angle, had 2 flashlights from multiple angles, even tried a small inspection mirror ... but I couldn't find anything that wasn't put there by Kawasaki.

I was actually wondering if there was a protologist in the area that has one of those light pipe / inspection scopes that could see farther into the "bottom end" ... but decided not to go there (on many levels)!

And believe me, the thought of adding in the kick-starter crossed my mindA LOT. I noticed that the kick-starter kit includes the side cover and water pump gaskets, too, so if I have to order something and wait anyway, I might as well make it worth the wait, right?!??

Oh well, just keep repeating to ourselves that this is supposed to be all for fun ...

Old 04-04-2007, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

BTW - Good tip on checking the oil filter screen ... since I'm going to be in there anyway.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
reachy clawy pushy things
Simply awesome.

Man, thats no fun your zip tie broke...

Also reminds me I need to do a valve check on the WR.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

My black plastic zip ties say they are UV stabilized. My white ones (the onesI haveleft) do not say this. I have found that the white ones laying around get really weak and bittle.I've gotten burned before on a few projects. Now I only buy and use the black ones and they perfrom much better.

Sorry about your troubles.

Quick Reply: Valve Job Halftime Game - Which One Doesn't Belong?