Utah Skid Plate Is The Culprit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Utah Skid Plate Is The Culprit!

About a month ago I started getting a horrible vibration\buzz\ratting sound at 3500 RPM. I've been troubleshooting it ever since but have not been able to figure out where it was coming from. After some hard thinking, I realized it started about the time I installed the Utah. Yesterday I decided to take my skid plate off to see if it was somehow causing it and lo and behold, the sound is now gone.

I guess I'll try to remount it using rubber bushings between the frame and the plate. I may also use silicone tape as a insulator where the front brackets mount to the frame. I really want to use the skid plate but I can't stand that noise. It only happens at about 3300-3600 rpm and it's very predictable and reproduceable.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

mine also rattles. around 6000 to 7000 rpm. rubber bushings should do the trick. i think mine is coming from the front clamps or its vibrating of the frame somewhere.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I put some car stereo sound deadener on mine, all the way down the frame rail where the attachment points are.

Dennis

Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you may have just found my problem as well!!! Every time I am downshifting and slowing as the motor goes by 4000 to 3000 rpm I get this irritating vibration/farting sound. It pisses me off. I thought it might be a vacuum leak from Exhaust gas thingy, but now I think you hit the nail on the head.

thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, had the same problem with my B&B plate.

I used an inner tube from a bike tire and using contact adhesive, glued strips onto any part of the bash plate that makes contact with the bike frame.

Works a treat.

-Justin

Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I took mine off and went for a quick spin, no irritating noise!! Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

hmmm... I did not realize this was so common. I still haven't fixed mine yet but I definitely need to get it back on. I work for a silicone manufacturing company so I will be bringing home some silicone test slabs to cut into gaskets. Hopefully that will do the trick...

Glad to see I'm not alone!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

market them

Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I noticed the problem when I first installed mine. I had the same problem with a plastic moose skid plate several years ago. It's irritating but better than a holed case. I never did get rid of the harmonic vibration all together.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

well crap...just got mine in the mail yesterday and installed it last night.......will be testing it tommorow night......at least i have a heads up now LOL

Quick Reply: Utah Skid Plate Is The Culprit!