Using the Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Using the Clutch

The tranny is synchronized, you DO NOT need to use the clutch on upshifts and if done correctly the bike will shift smoother, faster and with less wear on the tranny and clutch plates than with the clutch. You also do not need to use the clutch on downshifts, but the matching of the RPM and timing is far more critical and precise that most cannot master it, downshifting incorrectly will bend things, so better to down shift with the clutch. And I am not talking pulling it in, holding it, dropping a gear and letting it out either. A quick stab at the lever, small blip of the throttle and a drop of the gear done almost at the exact same time is all you need. I've been riding for over 20 years and have never had to repalace a gear, shift fork or clutch pack on any of my bikes.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Default RE: Using the Clutch

ORIGINAL: marc11

The tranny is synchronized, you DO NOT need to use the clutch on upshifts and if done correctly the bike will shift smoother, faster and with less wear on the tranny and clutch plates than with the clutch. You also do not need to use the clutch on downshifts, but the matching of the RPM and timing is far more critical and precise that most cannot master it, downshifting incorrectly will bend things, so better to down shift with the clutch. And I am not talking pulling it in, holding it, dropping a gear and letting it out either. A quick stab at the lever, small blip of the throttle and a drop of the gear done almost at the exact same time is all you need. I've been riding for over 20 years and have never had to repalace a gear, shift fork or clutch pack on any of my bikes.
+1 I have been doing this for at least 20 years on the street and never a problem. Dynojet air shifter does it for you a popular item on sport bikes. Just plip the throttle and your there. Smooth as silk. I do use my clutchfor down shifts and when I am in tricky situations off road but when I am taking off building speed especially on the street when I know I am going to go through all the gears I do it clutch less.