UPDATE***Rear disc grinding Do-it-Yourself UPDATE***

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Im no expert, but I'd imagine that the disk gets hotter when actually being clamped on by the pads in use than by your sanding.

I'd think that at 14k miles a new brake disk would be required. the old one might be too thin and so prone to warping. Maybe your new pads are high friction or something and generate more heat..?

good luck w/a solution.
~Steve

Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree, your brakes generate more heat on their own vs heat from sanding. What does a new rotor cost at bike bandit?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Bike bandit $187 WTF!!!!!! Thoroughly ridiculous!!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Holy crap! $187.39 at bikebandit.com and $170.55 at Kawasakipartshouse.com.

That's very steep I'm gonna check ebay.

Mike

Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej

If you're gonna get a used disc you'd be best served getting one from Ebay for a KDX200-220 (1995-2006). The KDX/KLX disc's are listed as the same part number from the parts diagram and the KDX disc should have alot more life left on it because it's not used as much as the KLX street legal bike. Here are a few on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

Here's a new aftermarket pad and rotor set for $55.95:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...Q5fAccessories

Old 06-08-2009, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Update! My rear brake is pulsating pretty bad now. As I come to a stop now the last 20 feet gives you a surge in the brake. I think the disc is warped. Anyone got one laying around? Where is a good link to get a new one. I must have heated the thing up too much when I tried the home method of grinding/sanding. I guess not everything works out as planned. But this is changing the way I split the breaking and I don't want to unlearn a bad habit. Any thoughts? Links to a new disc? Thanks guys.
Yeah, I got one.

Unbolt that disk from your bike and take it to your local auto brake repair shop / machine shop and get it "turned" ..... like you should have the first time.

It'll be fine, an cost ya $10 or $15.

Edit: Unbolt the front and get it turned too. And buy some good brake pads to go with it.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 06-08-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

These are good pads, and I live too far away from a shop that can turn these things. I bet the nearest one is 3 hrs away. I would spend more in gas that I would just ordering a new one. Seriously I think what happened is that I heated the rotor up too much and took out the temper. then the new harder pads probably finished it off for me. So I'm screwed now. But I wanted to let anyone know before they tried this on their own. Lesson learned.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by revtor
Im no expert, but I'd imagine that the disk gets hotter when actually being clamped on by the pads in use than by your sanding.

I'd think that at 14k miles a new brake disk would be required. the old one might be too thin and so prone to warping. Maybe your new pads are high friction or something and generate more heat..?

good luck w/a solution.
~Steve
Actually unless I was doing a 5 mile down hill, the heat generated by my so called sanding job was way hotter than any of my braking around here.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
These are good pads, and I live too far away from a shop that can turn these things. I bet the nearest one is 3 hrs away. I would spend more in gas that I would just ordering a new one. Seriously I think what happened is that I heated the rotor up too much and took out the temper. then the new harder pads probably finished it off for me. So I'm screwed now. But I wanted to let anyone know before they tried this on their own. Lesson learned.
Wait a second....are you saying there is no brake repair shop within 3 hrs of driving time from your town. People drive three hours to get new brakes on their car?

No Way!! Really?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I know your dealer is local ... can't they turn them.

This isn't rocket science here ..... and your sanding did not change the tempor of the metal.

Quick Reply: UPDATE***Rear disc grinding Do-it-Yourself UPDATE***