Two out of three bikes down; riding KLX to work!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Two out of three bikes down; riding KLX to work!

Posting more out of boredom than anything else...

I normally only ride my KLX250S when I plan to hit trails... it has fully knobbies, is geared down, etc.

But this past weekend, both of my other two bikes are down. The DR650 needs a new chain and sprockets, and my FZ1 has ignition problems. I've ordered new coils/tires for the FZ1, and they'll be here on Wednesday. I can't order parts for the DR650 til tomorrow because my paycheck won't credit til tomorrow morning, so that puts it out til Weds too. Thankfully the place with the DR650 parts is only an hour south of here (ProCycle).

So... the little KLX is my commuter for today through Wednesday. It's a fun little bike in town but dang is it gutless compared to the other two. Sure can't wait til I can get my 351!!

Rob

Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

commuting daily on a klx250sf...i really enjoy the nimbleness...cutting through traffic with ease...feeling the force of the wind...it's never boring...great commuter bike....great fun bike....it'll get you where you need to go (street or highway) and get you through some obstacles (parks, stairs, sidewalks, alley, etc.)...it just does a little of everything without much power, but enough to get your through....i really appreciate this little machine for the year and 11,000 miles of joy...i honestly don't have any desire to upgrade at the moment...this little bike is a keeper...

Last edited by ahnh666; 08-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

In town it's a great little commuter.. but mine involves about four miles of freeway. Granted that's not a lot, but I tend to run 70-80 on my other two bikes, whereas on the KLX the best I do is 60 and I get passed by everybody else.

Rob

Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Rob - you're clearly not flogging your KLX to it's full advantage. Mine will hold 75 (70 actual) all day long. That's with a 13T front. Don't worry, it's not fragile at all.

Course I'm not surrounded by cars when I do that. Not much of that sort of thing up here in rural Maine. Probably totally different on an actual busy road.

I was so surprised by how much fun the KLX is for commuting that I'm ready to sell the Bandit 1250. Never ride it any more.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Speaking of gutless, I passed a couple of Harley's on my Yellowstone trip like they were standing still. Now I know why they call the ST the "Harley Getter" LOL

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I've had mine up that fast too. On these knobbies, however, anything over 60... MAYBE 65 and any wind whatsoever and I get a real nice case of head shake. On the stock D605's that wouldn't start until above 70.

Besides, at those speeds, mileage goes to total crap... high 30's to maybe low 40's.

I rather like the Bandit 1250... found a nice blue one on Craigslist I'd love to grab, but isn't gonna happen.

Rob

Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I am also a big fan of the commute capabiities of the SF. I love mine...even more after the cam mod. The added torque helps with less shiftting and the added power is awesome. 5th to 6th is like you didn't even let go of the throttle. Most of the increase is between 4k to 8.5k rpm.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

It's a great "around town" bike. Usually my favorite 20 minutes of the day. But when it comes time to hit the freeway I'm always thinking God I hope I don't get run-over out here.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Best. Commuter. Bike. Ever.
You could slip two KLX's through holes in traffic that a Harley, or 'Busa for that matter, won't fit thru!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been taking mine to work everyday the weather allows. 30 miles each way, no freeways and plenty of trails should the urge strike on the ride home. Riding makes my otherwise boring commute enjoyable. My a$$cheeks are almost getting used to this damn seat too.

Also, the stock D605s are not gonna last for crap if I keep it up.

Quick Reply: Two out of three bikes down; riding KLX to work!