Two New 09 KLX 250S's - Here we go!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Default Two New 09 KLX 250S's - Here we go!

My dad (68) and I (38) decided to trade in our 650's (he had an 06 KLR, I had an 06 F650GS Dakar) for the 09 KLX 250S. He got a red one, I got a green one! We made the trades because neither of us enjoys riding on the pavement very much, even on the gorgeous curvy mountain roads we have here in CO. Our thinking was that we'd rather have dirt bikes capable of street riding than street bikes capable of dirt riding. Anyway, so far the only thing I've done to mine is switch out the stock bars for Renthal CR-high bars. Wow! What a nice difference that made! I've ordered and am patiently awaiting the arrival of the following:

-Unabiker radiator guards (black anodized)
-DynoJet kit #2152
-FMF Powerbomb header and Q4 Muffler
-Acerbis Rally Pro handguards

I'll be doing some of the free mods as well. Got a lot of reading to do about that - there seems to be lots of varying opinions on which mods work the best. Again, I'd love to hear your opinions.

I'm also going to be getting rid of all the junk on the tail and tuck the signals somehow. I'd be interested to hear anyone's ideas/experience with that.

One question - I haven't been able to find a 13t front sprocket for this buke. Does anybody have a brand / part number?

This thing is going to be a blast as soon as we get the power figured out!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

First of all WELCOME to the forums, you will love it here and find it very informative!

The 13T Sprocket I used is the Sunstar 13T Sprocket.

I ordered this same thing from the same place

https://shop.thumpertalk.com/Product...tCode=PU_34213

Part #34213.

I would also reccomend a Kouba Link fuel screw which can be purchased at www.koubalink.com . The stock fuel screw cannot be reached easily.

Hope this helps,
Jamie

Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bikes! You seem to want the same thing as me; a dirt bike that happens to have a street plate for roads. The best way to do the '09 tail section is to just go ahead and hack it down. If you inspect it, you will see that the black tail actually goes up under the fender and supports/connects the subframe with the plastic, and is not easily elliminated. You can either cut it along the natural line just below the plate. I took it a step further, cut it higher up, and made a new mounting location for the plate.

For the signals, you can remove the soft mounting points on the sides, poke the signal stalks through the holes, and create bracketry to mount them.

I made a semi-writeup about mine a couple months ago, search "turn signal tuck" and you should find my thread.

Name:  backend.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  158.5 KB

RockyMountain ATV lists a 13-tooth for our bikes. Also, a countershaft sprocket for a Honda XR650L will fit.

I want some fatbars and exhaust

Hope this was helpful, everyone else will be more helpful with the free mods. Welcome to KF.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF. these mole guys will take care of ya fo sho!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

That's very cool about you and your dad biking together. I've shared a house and expenses on it with my dad the past 10 years or so. He passed away suddenly last April, he was 63, I am 42. We have both owned bikes in the past, but never together. We talked about getting some inexpensive bikes for years so we could go riding together, he had some good riding areas he wanted to take me to. But we procrastinated, and now he's gone.

So I picked up a new KLX this past October, I think he's riding with me in spirit. It makes me feel good to see that you ride with your dad, value the time. Looks like you bought some good parts for your bike. I also bought the black radiator guard, but I haven't tried to put it on yet, I will when it gets warmer. Did your dad get any parts for his KLX?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like good times! I think you'll like the FMFQ4 You'll be able to ride without getting any forest rangers all bent out of shape over the noise your making. Moose/Parts Unlimited makes a 13t front sprocket that is listed specifically for the KLX250s but they only list it for the "06"-"07"models. I would be surprised if this didn't fit the "09" countershaft as well. I love all the forrest acess roads out in CO. perfect place for the KLX!.........Longs Peak in the distance this past summer.
Name:  IMG_4335_1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  86.2 KB
On the old Rollins pass rail bed above the Moffat tunnel.
Name:  IMG_4498.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  100.4 KB

Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Honda XR650L 13 tooth fits perfectly and is cheap

Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

cliffsta you have a very cute exhaust... is it change anything by unplug the cap?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Not on the '09, the endcap of the muffler is welded on. You can drill it out if you want, but then you can't go back to stock (if you ever needed to). I'm saving my pennies for that Muzzy full exhaust.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

how about using 2nd hand kx 250 exhaust? is it good? more cheap offcourse..

Quick Reply: Two New 09 KLX 250S's - Here we go!