tube or tubeless?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

The $100 per tire is what has kept me away from the Tubliss system. Not really sure your gaining all that much for that money. Might save you alittle time with a flat if you can gummy worm it instead of replace the tube. I just cannot justify the $200 expense right now, maybe once I get my first flat on the trail I will change my opinion.

My buddy put the Tubliss on his WR and the first trip we went on it was flat when we go the the hotel the night before the ride. He didn't have a spare 18" tube but he got lucky it was a big event and others staying at the hotel had spare tubes and one guy sold him one. He either damaged the inner tube hauling the bike somehow or (more likely) pinched the inner tube when spooning on the tire. He was up at midnight in the hotel room putting a tube in his tire so he could ride the next day.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
The $100 per tire is what has kept me away from the Tubliss system. Not really sure your gaining all that much for that money. Might save you alittle time with a flat if you can gummy worm it instead of replace the tube. I just cannot justify the $200 expense right now, maybe once I get my first flat on the trail I will change my opinion.

My buddy put the Tubliss on his WR and the first trip we went on it was flat when we go the the hotel the night before the ride. He didn't have a spare 18" tube but he got lucky it was a big event and others staying at the hotel had spare tubes and one guy sold him one. He either damaged the inner tube hauling the bike somehow or (more likely) pinched the inner tube when spooning on the tire. He was up at midnight in the hotel room putting a tube in his tire so he could ride the next day.
Yes, I think the only critical time for using the Tubliss system is installation. It's not rocket science, but it's alien for just about anyone who's done tires or flats. If you just follow the instructions and are careful, it seems to be relatively bulletproof. I'm on...if I recall now...my 4th front tire and 5th or 6th rear tire with the same Tubliss kit I bought 3 years ago. I'm thinking I'll get him to send me a pair of new rubber inner tubes just for insurance on the next tire changes. They are cheap as replacements. The red hard shell liner still looks great. Heck, I wouldn't run 3 year old inner tubes in my bicycle...if I still used tubes in them.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
. I'm on...if I recall now...my 4th front tire and 5th or 6th rear tire with the same Tubliss kit I bought 3 years ago.
I don't re-use old tubes, but, I keep it as a spare. If I don't use it for a flat on the trail, the next time I change the tire, I throw the original spare away and replace it with the newest spare. So, at about 30.00 per Ultra-heavy duty, I've recouped my original investment in Tubliss in a bit over 3 tire changes. Plus, the ease of fixing a "normal" flat with a Tubliss makes it worth the original investment. Literally 5 minutes to plug instead of all the time and energy spent changing a tube....not to mention the inconvenience of my riding partners waiting to change the tube.

Also, I feel better about running lower pressures in the tire with Tubliss (partly because of the rim lock), and, it's lighter than an Ultra-heavy duty tube, which may make the bike's suspension respond a little quicker....that's hard to measure, though!

Obviously, I'm sold on the technology.

Last edited by Blackheart58; 07-24-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: missed a parenthesis
Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been running the Tubliss system for over a year now, and love it. Since I added Slime to the tires, my tire pressure never budges. I still check it occasionally, but it is always right at 18 psi, every time I check.

Did the system on my wife's bike as well, and no issues. My oldest son has it on his KLX too (he actually was the first to get it), and had several pinch flats before getting the Tubliss, no flats since...

Old 07-25-2012, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't do the tubliss if you ride sharp rock shale or conditions that will cut the tire. Holes like nails and cactus are easily plugged if the slime doesn't seal it 1st, but cuts and slices can be a bugger. I watched my friends do this on rides enough I stayed with heavy tubes.

Tubliss to seems have a deal with Motosport, every now and then they sell them at a good discount, Think they were $75 last time I got their flyer.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Don't do the tubliss if you ride sharp rock shale or conditions that will cut the tire. Holes like nails and cactus are easily plugged if the slime doesn't seal it 1st, but cuts and slices can be a bugger. I watched my friends do this on rides enough I stayed with heavy tubes.

Tubliss to seems have a deal with Motosport, every now and then they sell them at a good discount, Think they were $75 last time I got their flyer.
I'd think your tire selection has more to do with this as far as cuts. I can't remember ever "cutting" a tire to a damaging point in 40 years of riding and racing...destroyed some running them flat to finish an enduro...ripped ***** off tires...but I can't recall destroying one by a cut. But I won't say it certainly can't happen. I've even seen ***** ripped off on a few of my tires where I could see the cord underneath and still finished an enduro on them. Kind of amazed me. Regardless, I've run in all kinds of conditions and consider the frequency of fatal tire cuts to be a infrequent enough issue not to be concerned with if you're using a proper tire.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I just got two sets of Tubliss for my bikes and put the front on the husky today. It was a mother getting the last bead of the tire on the rim because the Tubliss takes up so much of the drop center. Maybe I was doing something wrong. FYI, it looks like it will take ~3oz of weight opposite the rim lock to balance.

If I have as good luck as you guys they will be worth every penny the first time I don't have to change/fix a tube on the side of the road, in the dark, in the rain...

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 07-25-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
It was a mother getting the last bead of the tire on the rim because the Tubliss takes up so much of the drop center. Maybe I was doing something wrong. FYI, it looks like it will take ~3oz of weight opposite the rim lock to balance.
Sounds similar to my experience. I check the inner liner pressure every week. It takes a couple of pumps of my bicycle pump to get it back up to 100 psi. I found come carcasses hold air better than others. The Maxxis tire I had on the front would actually ooze green Slime from the center of the tire, between the *****. After a week or so, it slowed to almost zero. But, it never did quit. The Kenda and Dunlops I've run have not exhibited that tendency at all. Interestingly, the Maxxis was the only non-DOT tire of the bunch. Coincidence? Probably.

I think you'll be very happy with the Tubliss. I'm waiting on them to come out with the 17 inch version, so I can upgrade my KLR650 to Tubliss.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

running tubeless tires with tubes inside...seems to be good on the sf...