Transmission Dropping Out of Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Default RE: Transmission Dropping Out of Gear?

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

AHHH!!! AN OIL THREAD!!! RUN!!!! RUN!!!!

Ok, I feel better.

FWIW, I use (and have used for many years) synth in all my cars and bikes. When bikes are under warranty like my KLX, I use the manufacturers branded synth not because I have to but because it reduces points of discussion in case of a warranty issue. I've been using Kaw synth since my first oil change at 50 miles.

I feel the KLX is a very good candidate for synth due to the small oil supply (truly dirt-bike like in this respect). It costs more but it's worth it IMHO. And no, I'm not worried about it being "too slick" for breakin. My Triumph came from the factory with Mobil One and it broke in just fine. Ditto on every Corvette rolling out of GMs plants.

An oil thread! BAN THEM! Don't start any "What's the best oil to use in my KLX250S!

Nada, no mas, nein, NO!

There is simply one and one only best oil for use in any motor vehicle. One that is fresh and clean and meets the specifications for lubrication that the OEM publishes. In this case:

10w/40

API SE,SF or SG
API SH or SJ with JASO MA

If your oil meets that criteria, I don't care who makes it under what contract, the dealer has NOTHING legally to complain about. However, that being said, if you use one that is sold by his dealership, then he has even less. Many dealers - yours may vary - will accept receipts for oil and filters as proof that the maintenance was done.

That being said, I run Shell Rotella - T in my KLX250S, KLR250, KLR650 and Concours. The ZRX is still running Amsoil 10w/40 in the crankcase. Still have almost a case to go through.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm familiar with the oil filter setup, my 1985 honda big red 250 3 wheeler had the identical setup, possibly the same filter, and man was that ever a pain in the rear.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I changed the oil at 555 miles and put in Golden Spectro. Big difference. Runs cooler and the upshifts go snick snick snick instead of clunk clunk clunk.

Like BMWHD says, the KLX uses so little oil and the little engine works so hard, it certainly deserves premium synthetic.

BTW, the dealer did not sell me a new washer for the drain plug and I forgot to ask for it; so I reused the old one. Should it be replaced every oil change or every other oil change?

Old 05-15-2006, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Couple of hundred miles since the switch to Golden 4 Spectro Synthetic blend, the difference is like night and day. The shifts are soooo smooth. They practically slip right in with hardly a push from the toes. Clutchless upshifts are flawless. You barely need to preload the shifter. I highly recommend this oil.