Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Trail Riding in Idaho (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/trail-riding-idaho-42148/)

IDRIDR 09-12-2014 04:02 PM

Another Wildhorse Lookout video

Here's a video from another rider on this Wildhorse Lookout trail run. He's one of the better riders of the group on an XR250. Summit climb at 13:30 and more views from the top. He also includes the ride back down.

rgmr250 09-13-2014 12:04 AM

Those are some amazing ride videos. I don't think I'd attempt that single track with the extreme drop-offs to the right. If you went off trail, you'd have a hell of a time getting the bike back up to the trail.

Here's a couple of vids from the trails around where I live. A friend (on his WR250R) and I often ride in the evening, which adds an additional level of difficulty when you can't see very well.

Also +1 on the aggressive riding - I'm still working on that, but standing on the pegs and keeping the speed/momentum up helps immensely.

Like most videos, it's a lot steeper than it looks

First time for my Daughter-in-law on the KLX250, first time on this trail for my Son on the KLX250. About 1:30 I make a quick run through the trail:

Angier 09-13-2014 08:11 PM

Looks like you know what you`re doing. Been awhile since I last rode any of the trails up McNutt-Breaker. Last ride up there I was on my KDX220 and my brother, on his KX125, fouled a plug high up on the mountain. At no point did the day go well afterwards, it was a long tedious tow(who has a spare plug along, eh?)

I was at the top 256th yesterday for work, think I need to go back with a bike again! Thanks for re-newing my interest in McNutt
Greg

rgmr250 09-15-2014 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Angier (Post 514366)
Looks like you know what you`re doing. Been awhile since I last rode any of the trails up McNutt-Breaker. Last ride up there I was on my KDX220 and my brother, on his KX125, fouled a plug high up on the mountain. At no point did the day go well afterwards, it was a long tedious tow(who has a spare plug along, eh?)

I was at the top 256th yesterday for work, think I need to go back with a bike again! Thanks for re-newing my interest in McNutt
Greg

McNutt is a great place to ride. It's somewhat unfortunate that the trails go from flat gravel road, straight to intermediate/advanced trails, makes it harder to 'graduate' your way up through progressively harder trails. It would be nice if there were a few beginner/intermediate trails - you can see my daughter in law had a bit of a tough time on the trails - partly because she was intimidated by the bike (she used to have a DR200SE, which had a very low seat height, and was about 60 lbs lighter.)

My first time out at McNutt, my friend on his WR250R and I just 'blindly' went out through the trails, in the evening. After about 1.5 hours of hard riding (that honestly would take me about 30 mins now), we stopped for a break - his WR wouldn't start (fuel pump would fail when the gas was 'hot' - we found out after), we spent the next hour pushing his bike out the trail - of course it was pitch black by that time, and the 'trail' we ended up on was really just a dried up creek bed, quite steep and lots of rocks. We certainly got our workout.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I picked up a 2009 KLX250S for my son - we went on a few easy trail rides, then one day tried a tougher trail - he ended up burning up his clutch, so we had to push his bike out. Definitely not as much fun pushing as it is riding. Luckily I carry a short rope, so in the steep uphill sections we had one of us pulling the bike with the rope, one on the bars pushing and one behind pushing - until we couldn't see any more, then two of us would run/walk back and get our bikes and ride up to the broken bike and leave one running with the headlight pointing up the trail so we could see where we were pushing. Luckily the clutch replacement was fairly cheap and pretty easy to do.

IDRIDR 01-26-2015 08:44 PM

Rabbit Creek

First ride of 2015 out in the Owyhee desert.

durielk 01-26-2015 09:01 PM

IDR... that is NOT a 4C... trader!

IDRIDR 01-26-2015 09:41 PM

yabbut eez green!

The KLX is still in the shop and the KDX needed its first good ride on new top end and work over since picking it up in September. And the skinny girl's about 40 or so pounds lighter!

IDRIDR 02-09-2015 06:43 PM

Out on the 2T this weekend.

cmott426 02-09-2015 08:15 PM

I have been thinking about getting a KDX, how is the low end compared to the KLX?

IDRIDR 02-09-2015 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by cmott426 (Post 518368)
I have been thinking about getting a KDX, how is the low end compared to the KLX?

Compared to the stock KLX, from what I remember of the machine in stock condition, there's a lot of similarity. Compared to the 351, especially with the pumper, the KDX is certainly lacking but I'm not surprised because the 351 is just an amazing tractor. The KDX220 is said to have better low end than the 200, but the 220 also comes with a 33mm instead of a 35mm carb so the lower end is improved at sacrifice to the upper end. In my research and talking with other 2T owners, the KDX is a pretty darned good trail and low-rpm machine compared to other two-strokes. Of course, KTM has some great trail bikes that some have called "three strokes." There's some carb mods I plan on having done that reportedly make the low-rpm significantly more responsive while improving performance throughout the range (boring to a 36 mm and doing some improvements to the low rpm circuitry, by Ron Black).

I worked on the pilot jetting and have it fairly close. Stock is a #42 which was 2 or 3 pilot jet sizes richer than it is now, which made a huge difference. Now I plan to fuss around with needle settings, needles, and main jet to see how it responds. Then, I have a 200 model carb (the larger one) which I plan to toy around with and send one of the carbs off to RB. I also have both the FMF desert/rev expansion chamber to try (bike came with woods/torque). As far as I can tell, the PO did little else to tune the bike other than throwing on an FMF exhaust system as the jets, filter, etc were stock and rich.

I'm really enjoying the lightness of this bike. 40-50 pounds makes a big difference. Now, if it just had the suspension and low-end torque of the KLX! Mileage is only around 20 mpg at best based on the last two weekends of riding. A bit more tuning may improve this some and granted most of the riding was in 2nd and 3rd gear with a lot of throttle.