Top 5 Most Noticable KLX 250 mods.?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Top 5 Most Noticable KLX 250 mods.?

Gearing, suspension, carb mods, intake mods, exhaust mods, bored jug, etc....

In terms of a difference in off road performance, what are your top 5 NOTICABLE best performance mods that YOU have done.?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Gearing should be number 1 for offroad, its also one of the cheapest. Get some handguards and a skidplate. The 300 kit also made a huge difference offroad. The Guts Racing tall seat was also a must for me. If I plan on keeping the bike for much longer I will probably send the suspension off get get the works done. I'm starting to push the bike hard enough at times that I am seeing its down fall.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

gearing and exhaust are the two most noticeable mods you can do to the bike- period: on or off road. of course with exhaust, you have to do airbox and jetting but those are cake mods to do. with around $200 plus say, $15 for the 13-tooth front sprocket you can have a rocket compared to stock. I've done this with two KLX's and both responded the same exact way. I'm talking of a slip-on from HMF since it's the cheapest. I've always done full exhausts, but from what I've read, the slip-on owners are happy.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd say a large bore kit is pretty darn noticable, since you didn't say 'most noticable for the money.' You get a 6hp increase, so that has to rank pretty high. In fact, I feel it ranks near the top of the 'noticable' category. The exhaust and unplug gives you about 2.5 to 3 hp, but you get the added noise of an aftermarket exhaust, so that's where a lot of that is 'noticed.' Another mod I'd put near the top is my firmed up and revalved suspension by Moto Pro. In fact, I might just rank that as number 1. Also, my **** has definitely 'noticed' my Renazco seat as well. Big difference.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
I'd say a large bore kit is pretty darn noticable, since you didn't say 'most noticable for the money.' You get a 6hp increase, so that has to rank pretty high. In fact, I feel it ranks near the top of the 'noticable' category. The exhaust and unplug gives you about 2.5 to 3 hp, but you get the added noise of an aftermarket exhaust, so that's where a lot of that is 'noticed.' Another mod I'd put near the top is my firmed up and revalved suspension by Moto Pro. In fact, I might just rank that as number 1. Also, my **** has definitely 'noticed' my Renazco seat as well. Big difference.
I agree somewhat, but you can't do the big-bore without exhaust/jetting/airbox and get that same 6 horsepower increase. That'd be like building a hemi engine and leaving the factory exhaust installed. For more displacement, it has to be able to breathe. Now you could do 300 kit and then get the 300 oem exhaust but you'd still be cheating yourself since Roeseler said himself that the 300 exhaust (mainly header) is too small for the engine to breathe properly, hence the creation of his products. (no longer available)

Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

14 psi in tyres(free), carb slide mods and jetting ($15), 13 tooth front sprocket ($15), Barkbusters ($100 but worth every penny) Kouba fuel screw ($20 worth it trust me.)
Change from $150 all up, and what a difference.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Muffler...Pulls through the RPMZ
Front Fender...AntiWobble
Front Sprocket...Nice most of the time
Bobbed rear fender....Just looks cool
MX Helmet...Amazing feel

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

1) Trackmaster II rear for soft sugar sand.....damn that stock tire sucked.

2) Muffler and opening her up with jets

3) Big bore

4) Suspension - New springs etc.

5) Pumper Carb

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

In theory I'd think that either a front or rear sprocket change would make the most appreciable bottom end difference , especially for the money.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of EACH individual mods performance perks. A BIG undertaking like a bored jug natuarally has to be accompanied by many other mods to realize it's potential.

My disadavantage is that I've torn down my bike and the difference from all of the mods will be realized all at once.

I'll be adding:

13 t sprocket
New air filter , uncorked air box.
Crank vent mod
Carb Rejet
Lowering link
Acerbis tank
Hi output coil
New multi electrode plug
KLX 300 header
Breathier muffler / still quiet though.

OH,...and a skid plate is on the way too.

After all of this we'll consider a jugectomy.

I'm past the speed demon days and mostly ride trails in mountains and forest so bottom end torque, handling and engine response at a respectable DB level are what I'm looking for.

Last edited by horizonod; 12-09-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

1. buying the bike with money from restored bikes that were given to me.
2. cursing the p*ssified taming of it and getting serious about #3 below.
3. all free mods (and near free)
4. new tires
5. riding it like I stole it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top 5 Most Noticable KLX 250 mods.?