TOOL BAG AND PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Default TOOL BAG AND PARTS

Setting up my bike for long adventure type trail riding.
I have invested in tool bag and some spare parts including tyre ( tire ) tubes.
Clarke tank fitted.

Can i get some feed back on what to carry for this type of riding without adding too much weight to the bike?

Any extra items mentioned would be a great help.

Cheers

Old 05-07-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: TOOL BAG AND PARTS

Have a safe trip and dont forget to have fun [8D]

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/99DualSportTips.htm

http://www.bigcee.com/faq/tools.html

Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Leem, don't forget a chain joining link and a chain breaker, never know, had this happen to a mate of mine but luckily he had this, pretty much I take some sockets, 8,10,12 allen keys to fit, small shifting spanner, spare tube, tyre levers, pointy pliers (with cutters), some decent wire (can be used for lots of things), spare levers, clutch and front brake. And if we have a base to go back to at the end of the day I will take my tool box with all the other stuff in it..

Cheers
Chris.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep I always carry in my tool kit a master link, you never know. Speaking of chains, mine is getting pretty rusty and dry, I think I'm getting ready to switch over to an o-ring chain.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

SPARE CLUTCH CABLE - its a $4 part, but you dont want to be stranded on the side of the highway, trying to power shift your way to safety. On a trail, this is impossible and you'll be a heavy clutch user on the trails. This small little cable caused me a lot of grief, its small, lightand worth taking along. At the least, replace your current one before departing.

I also found having some chain lube significantly prolonged the life of my chain, just be aware that extreame heat and lots of lube will create this thick gooey tar like substance ooozing from your front counter sprocket. I thought i had a sprocket seal leak, but it was just gooey chain lube collecting.

Ditto on good T-sprockets, why mess around with the factory junk.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice eric. Good deal on that kit too. I think I might pick me up one for mine.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, why don't you 'get real' Leem. You can't use this puny 250 for ADV riding; you'll take all of the nimbleness away and it won't have nearly enough power! Don't try to make thebike into what it's not [8D]Just don't, don't, don't!!...Save your money for an 1150GS or 650 Dakar, ok?

Seriously though, I think a fella by the name of Bill Pearson, put-up a pretty good guide at planet KLX. Good luck!

ORIGINAL: Leem

Setting up my bike for long adventure type trail riding.
I have invested in tool bag and some spare parts including tyre ( tire ) tubes.
Clarke tank fitted.

Can i get some feed back on what to carry for this type of riding without adding too much weight to the bike?

Any extra items mentioned would be a great help.

Cheers

Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

PLANET KLX IS DOWN........ sucks.....

Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Extra gas...Extra gas...Extra gas. I carry of course the stock tools in the one that came with the bike, but I went out and bought a nice set from Cruiz Tools, then I take an extra master link, all 4 of my gas bottles, and a first aid kit, extra batteries for the flashlight and the gps, TOILET PAPER!!!!! water and some small energy food, extra gloves, a front tube, my 4 tire irons, camelbak with water and also to hold the two big bottles of fuel, a tow rope, you know for when "other peoples bikes" break down[8D]a good knife, something to start a fire, some of that hand sanitizer (don't hate) a couple of blue shop towels folded up nice and neat, and of course my Blackberry and my new waterproof camera. I think that's it.

Quick Reply: TOOL BAG AND PARTS